Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Two part tube adhesive ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 PM
needforspeed150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Two part tube adhesive ?

I have Looked for the answer and if it's here I have missed it. I have a '63 coupe that has had the body off and pretty much redone everything else. The front had been hit in the past and repaired badly. I have a Semersheims front end that I had made them make for me. The front end has the side fenders off of it which will make it easier. Anyway I have been working up the guts to go ahead and get it put on. I understand the process and test fits and all but the whole mixing of the adhesive and getting it spread on and body set before it sets is scary. I have a gallon of adhesive and of course the hardener.

That all being said 3M as well as other companies make adhesives of different types and curing times that I thought if one worked would be a great advantage. Twin tubes pushed by the special caulking gun and not having the time problems involved with the old way of doing it. Has anyone found a product that would work as the adhesive to glue the front end on a corvette? If there is a thread for this let me know. I could be blind.
Thanks for any info on this
Ben
Old 09-22-2014, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by needforspeed150
I have Looked for the answer and if it's here I have missed it. I have a '63 coupe that has had the body off and pretty much redone everything else. The front had been hit in the past and repaired badly. I have a Semersheims front end that I had made them make for me. The front end has the side fenders off of it which will make it easier. Anyway I have been working up the guts to go ahead and get it put on. I understand the process and test fits and all but the whole mixing of the adhesive and getting it spread on and body set before it sets is scary. I have a gallon of adhesive and of course the hardener.

That all being said 3M as well as other companies make adhesives of different types and curing times that I thought if one worked would be a great advantage. Twin tubes pushed by the special caulking gun and not having the time problems involved with the old way of doing it. Has anyone found a product that would work as the adhesive to glue the front end on a corvette? If there is a thread for this let me know. I could be blind.
Thanks for any info on this
Ben
In my opinion...if you Corvette were in my shop...I would NOT use any of the new type adhesives. Having exposed seams....and using this type of adhesive can be problematic at best. The new style of adhesives are used UNDER a panel with NO seam to fill and contour. That makes a difference...especially if the panel get s hot...you might see some distortion. Sometimes the 'old school' way is still best...but do what you want.

I use and have had no problems in mixing up the adhesive and applying it. I can do one by myself...but I do this. It has to do with timing yourself and THINKING things through...which many people now-a-days do not do....Stop and think. Being in a hurry and NOT doing a mix and seeing how long it takes for it to begin to get hard...to where when you touch it...it is still NOT liquid and can not go back onto itself. This way...you are not running around like a chicken with its head cut off. You will KNOW how much time you have. AND if you timed yourself....then there should not be a problem. I do this each and every time I go to bond a panel

What panel are you actually replacing????

I would use the Evercoat SMC Panel Adhesive part number 994 and that is that. AND YES...it works on your fiberglass also....so do not be concerned. I use it often and when the panels are prepped and cleaned properly and the SMC Panel Adhesive cures out....you basically have to grind the panel off to get it to come off.

If you are going for originality and want the correct body putty adhesive...I would get that from Corvette Image. Maybe check and see if Semersheims sells it if you are worried about that.

What is the name brand and part number of the adhesive you already have on hand????

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 09-22-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:59 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW, I used SEM 39747 with the special aapplicator. Not exactly cheap. I think I used 5 tubes for the complete front end incl lower valiance and inner fenders. It's used for the bonding strips and NOT TO FILL THE CHANNEL. I was afraid the quick set stuff would set too fast for me. The SEM stuff gives you plenty of time to set your panels. YMMV

Get notified of new replies

To Two part tube adhesive ?

Quick Reply: Two part tube adhesive ?