Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

how to block sand 'spinal' panel line on roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:26 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default how to block sand 'spinal' panel line on roof

I am block sanding & shaping the roof of my coupe64 .
Is there a trick to keep the spinal center line straight and relatively sharp edged. Too much body material has been rubbed off in previous restorations. Does it help to make a cardboard template of the 'inverted V' profile and pull the 2K filler on along a straight guiding stick fixed to the roof with two side sticky tape?
Anyone a better idea?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I am block sanding & shaping the roof of my coupe64 .
Is there a trick to keep the spinal center line straight and relatively sharp edged. Too much body material has been rubbed off in previous restorations. Does it help to make a cardboard template of the 'inverted V' profile and pull the 2K filler on along a straight guiding stick fixed to the roof with two side sticky tape?
Anyone a better idea?
That can work but it will all depend on how much filler you actually need to correct the bad spots. Your idea will get you to a good 'roughed in' application. BUT....It all depends...like I wrote above ...on how much filler you have to apply.

I do them one side at a time...and I have had some that were really bad. I can create that radius with a spreader being bent correctly by hand. Also....when I do this I use the Vette Panel Adhesive(VPA)...and when I applied it...I DO NOT allow the VPA to dry too long and make it hard for me to sand and shape quickly.

DUB

Quick Reply: how to block sand 'spinal' panel line on roof