Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Windshield frame pitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Windshield frame pitting

My Windshield frame has some pitting. I have an old school guy helping me and he suggested Luma Lead? Not sure if the spelling is correct but he said it allows smoothing of the pits? Thoughts? Ideas? Other products?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting question... I'm gonna tag along on this one!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by 13611
Interesting question... I'm gonna tag along on this one!
Damn I saw a reply and was ready to see! Then! Well at least I am not the only one curious.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikesfreetime
My Windshield frame has some pitting. I have an old school guy helping me and he suggested Luma Lead? Not sure if the spelling is correct but he said it allows smoothing of the pits? Thoughts? Ideas? Other products?
What year are you dealing with?????

And how extensive is this pitting where the urethane is going to go to hold your windshield in place???? This is VERY, VERY IMPORTANT....which is WHY I need to know the year.

DUB
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
What year are you dealing with?????

And how extensive is this pitting where the urethane is going to go to hold your windshield in place???? This is VERY, VERY IMPORTANT....which is WHY I need to know the year.

DUB
It is a 69 and the pitting is mainly focused on the left and right lower verticle section

Old 09-26-2014, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you cover the pitting with a material...there are chances that it will fail.

It all deals in the shear that can occur IF the car gets in an accident.

So covering the bottom section...especially where the urethane needs to go to bond the windshield in with a filler. WELL..that is something that I WOULD NOT DO if your car were in my shop.

Removing all rust possible and then using the approved primers for the urethane that is going to be used when the glass goes in,

NOW..it is your car and you can do what you wish. AND YES...I am aware that this cars windshield was more than likely not using the windshield as a part of the STRUCTURE like they are in today's cars. Which is why proper procedures MUST be followed when newer cars windshield are installed. BUT...using current technology and procedures...it is hard NOT to apply them when a windshield is being installed for obvious reasons...>SAFETY.

The pinchweld does not need to be perfectly slick and smooth for the urethane to adhere...especially if the installer know what to do. I am more worried about how well the windshield urethane will adhere....versus how pretty the pinchweld is. Now areas that are NOT the contact surface...I get looking good.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield frame pitting

Quick Reply: Windshield frame pitting