Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

A Tale of two Car Covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Rubyredvette94
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A Tale of two Car Covers

I live in South Florida in what can best be described as a brutal environment for a car cover. I use a car cover every day in the elements. Car is never in garage, except in a true Hurricane.

I will relate my experiences with two car covers:
CoverKing Stormproof
CoverCraft Weathershield HD.

The Stormproof was purchased new and after a couple of years use in South Florida, my red cover is pink. Cover was replaced once under warranty and the red color did not last long on the second cover....
Name:  Stormproof Red faded tor pink.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  87.3 KB
The underside is still red.
Name:  Stormproof faded and orginal red.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  82.2 KB
The cover soaks up rain like a sponge
Name:  soaks up water.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  98.0 KB
Water does not bead at all

I "retired" the Stormproof a few years ago when I got another brand.

The Weathershield HD was purchased USED, Seller said it was 4 years old when I purchased the cover. I have used it for a couple of years since my purchase.
Name:  DSCN0333.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  106.4 KB
It has not changed Color.
Name:  DSCN0332.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  97.8 KB
Water beads on the cover with a small amount of absorption.
Name:  DSCN0336.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  93.6 KB

My comparison of the two covers.
The Stormproof is lighter material. but seems to hold together, no rips, tears, etc.
The Weathershield HD is a heavier material, but it is still manageable.

The Stormproof seems to be a little better on pattern, not as many pieces. The side is one piece of material.
The Weathershield HD has extra seams, The side is two pieces.

Main difference is that Weathershield HD has stood up to the elements over time. In South Florida or other tough environments, I would recommend getting the Weathershield HD.

I understand that Covercraft has a Weathershield HP. I may look into that cover if my Weathershield HD ever gives up and my budget will allow purchase... LOL

Last edited by Rubyredvette94; 09-25-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added HD on Weathershield
Old 09-25-2014, 06:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thanks for the information. I am glad this is working for you.

Glad to see that NOT all covers are the came...and PROFESSIONALLY speaking....I HATE OUTSIDE car covers. They all restrict air flow. So it is a 'trade-off'.

The weather in my area of the country is similar to South Florida.....it gets VERY HOT and HUMID at times.

And when I tell my customers that if they use an outside car cover...they lost the warranty on their high dollar paint job. Reason being this: The cover protects the paint/interior from the sun...I get that. But what it also does is restrict air flow and in most cases....water that gets under the car and evaporates gets under the cover and into the interior...and the car gets mold and mildew...and I see components that begin to rust quickly. And in time...the paint can begin to bubble on surfaces that are up high. it will not occur on lower panels due to moisture rises.

I will write this....if you cover you car outside....MAKE sure that after a rain..you pull the cover and let the car air out along with the cover. Car covers are not a 'Put it on and forget about it' product. This is only because I have had to repair NUMEROUS cars that were just that. And even though at this time a car might be fine under a cover outside.. BUT...One day..the owner might get a surprise when you take the cover off. The owner will be able to read braille in the finish due to all of the small blisters.

Remember that fiberglass and SMC are porous and they can absorb substances when constantly subjected to them over TIME.

DUB
Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Rubyredvette94
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dub,
Great advice and guidance.
Knock on wood I have not YET had a problem with car cover and paint. I would guess that my car cover is on 80% of the time that my car is sitting. I am retired, so it sits a lot. I think a lot of people go for cheap on a car cover and that causes problems.
Also with aftermarket paint job, I would NOT use a car cover. The OEM paint job is ,IMHO, much more durable, but to do the same aftermarket paint would require disassembling the car and special equipment. Not dissing aftermarket paint jobs.

Originally Posted by DUB
Thanks for the information. I am glad this is working for you.

Glad to see that NOT all covers are the came...and PROFESSIONALLY speaking....I HATE OUTSIDE car covers. They all restrict air flow. So it is a 'trade-off'.

The weather in my area of the country is similar to South Florida.....it gets VERY HOT and HUMID at times.

And when I tell my customers that if they use an outside car cover...they lost the warranty on their high dollar paint job. Reason being this: The cover protects the paint/interior from the sun...I get that. But what it also does is restrict air flow and in most cases....water that gets under the car and evaporates gets under the cover and into the interior...and the car gets mold and mildew...and I see components that begin to rust quickly. And in time...the paint can begin to bubble on surfaces that are up high. it will not occur on lower panels due to moisture rises.

I will write this....if you cover you car outside....MAKE sure that after a rain..you pull the cover and let the car air out along with the cover. Car covers are not a 'Put it on and forget about it' product. This is only because I have had to repair NUMEROUS cars that were just that. And even though at this time a car might be fine under a cover outside.. BUT...One day..the owner might get a surprise when you take the cover off. The owner will be able to read braille in the finish due to all of the small blisters.

Remember that fiberglass and SMC are porous and they can absorb substances when constantly subjected to them over TIME.

DUB
Old 09-26-2014, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubyredvette94
Dub,
Great advice and guidance.
Knock on wood I have not YET had a problem with car cover and paint. I would guess that my car cover is on 80% of the time that my car is sitting. I am retired, so it sits a lot. I think a lot of people go for cheap on a car cover and that causes problems.
Also with aftermarket paint job, I would NOT use a car cover. The OEM paint job is ,IMHO, much more durable, but to do the same aftermarket paint would require disassembling the car and special equipment. Not dissing aftermarket paint jobs.
Even though factory paint is just that.....FACTORY PAINT....NO PAINT will stick if the material the paint is on is getting exposed to moisture...and if that material can actually absorb that moisture....which fiberglass and SMC can do.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To A Tale of two Car Covers

Quick Reply: A Tale of two Car Covers