Proper way to remove paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:02 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Proper way to remove paint

Just purchased a 69 rear valance for sidepipes. My car is Cortez Silver the valance is green. I would like to remove or prep this part for painting myself. What do I need to know and do. I am a cabinet maker and familiar with spraying. Not a know it all.
Thank You
Roger
Old 09-26-2014, 06:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I (myself) would use a chemical stripper and then wash it off with AUTOMOTIVE GRADE lacquer thinner. Rough steel wool and or red scotch-brite. Being such a small panel...buying a quart of stripper is as small as you can buy and may need...depending on how many layers of paint are on it.

It all depends on if you have any cracks...which are known to happen on this panel due to being so susceptible for them.

You can sand it also....but I am not there to see what you have.

Excessive rough handling can cause it to crack by where your license plate bezel mounts and the fiberglass makes that sharp 90 degree bend. I built a jig to hold this part so it can not bend or flex when I am working on one.

DUB
Old 09-26-2014, 08:11 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I (myself) would use a chemical stripper and then wash it off with AUTOMOTIVE GRADE lacquer thinner. Rough steel wool and or red scotch-brite. Being such a small panel...buying a quart of stripper is as small as you can buy and may need...depending on how many layers of paint are on it.

It all depends on if you have any cracks...which are known to happen on this panel due to being so susceptible for them.

You can sand it also....but I am not there to see what you have.

Excessive rough handling can cause it to crack by where your license plate bezel mounts and the fiberglass makes that sharp 90 degree bend. I built a jig to hold this part so it can not bend or flex when I am working on one.

DUB
Good idea DUB as a retired cabinet maker I am into jigs. I will figure something out to keep it stable before I start.
Thank You
Roger
Old 10-05-2014, 07:10 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

with Dub. Chem strip is an excellent choice for this..

But the first thing you need to do is test mount it and make sure it fits. Hopefully it's an original GM panel and in that case it will almost certainly fit.

Aftermarket panels are well known for being totally off, not fitting at all without major work.

Get notified of new replies

To Proper way to remove paint

Quick Reply: Proper way to remove paint