Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Door jam hole

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:12 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Door jam hole

What is the best way to fill this hole that prior owner Bubba put in for an alarm? Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2014, 05:25 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

No sweat, I'll deal with it.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you care to know. I would grind it out and dish/taper it down well. Then I would apply ONE layer of mat and resin so it can set up and get hard. Then when that has cured...I would grind that mat and resin and apply some more...now knowing that you have something solid to work against. When it is filled in pretty much. Let that cure...grind it down and then apply a thin layer of Vette Panel Adhesive to get it smooth and pinhole free.

DUB
Old 09-27-2014, 06:02 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Thanks buddy! Thanks for the taper advice. I was sorta confused today when a magnet stuck to it until I realized a steel plate is behind it.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Pulling the doors (which I originally didn't intent to do) and working on them + filling the hole sealed the deal that painting will be next years event. No sense rushing at this point plus it'll give me time to finally get that new compressor. Just hope my inside track to a good price on paint will still be there.

Fiberglass then VPA. (sorry it's crooked). I did another coat then sand after the photos for good measure.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

SWEET!!!!

DUB
Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Yeah thanks! Looks sorta cool doesn't it even unfinished. Gotta now move on with some minor brake issues on the '69. So many projects, so little time- lol.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Not meaning to add to your list of 'things to do'...and NOT writing that you would not have done this....BUT make sure you consider your hinges and...IF not removing the hinges to get them cleaned and epoxied and basecoated so they can be re-installed...at least pull the bolts that you can see in your photo's and get them cleaned up and ready for fresh primer...so you do not have a 'cluster' when you prime the jamb...and when sanding it...the paint finally decides to 'pop off' and you have to do it again. Mentioning this because I have been there before. Nothing is worse than the car is taped up for paint and the primer on the bolt heads pops off. The DEVIL is in the fine details.

DUB
Old 10-01-2014, 11:56 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
Not meaning to add to your list of 'things to do'...and NOT writing that you would not have done this....BUT make sure you consider your hinges and...IF not removing the hinges to get them cleaned and epoxied and basecoated so they can be re-installed...at least pull the bolts that you can see in your photo's and get them cleaned up and ready for fresh primer...so you do not have a 'cluster' when you prime the jamb...and when sanding it...the paint finally decides to 'pop off' and you have to do it again. Mentioning this because I have been there before. Nothing is worse than the car is taped up for paint and the primer on the bolt heads pops off. The DEVIL is in the fine details.

DUB
10-4 on that. I'm not done with the jams yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Door jam hole

Quick Reply: Door jam hole