Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

body filler, my experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:04 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default body filler, my experience

I did a full strip of my 64 body, repaired and reshaped it on 10s of spots with glass mat (10 sq yards) and polyester (2 gallons...), then put it into shape such that only minimal body putty would be required before spraying on high build primer.
I had read on many occasions how well the Evercoat body filler products work. But I am from Europe, and simply could not find them over here ....until recently.
So I had started with other products, I tried 6 different brands and types (soft, hard, fine, cheap, expensive, you name it). I sincerely did not like any of those.
So when I finally could get my hands on Evercoat Rage Gold, I could not wait to try. Now that made my day. It's another league compared to anything else I used. It was the most expensive too.
What I liked most is that it hardens fast, so you can start working on it in the shortest of times (say 30 min). It does not clog the abrasive paper at all, and it actually shapes beautifully like a soft/light type of filler. Wait a day and it is hard like a heavy duty filler. That's the best of both worlds to me. This is not a promo talk, just wanted to share my excitement
Old 10-07-2014, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am GLAD that you are happy with the RAGE GOLD...but knowing that you more than likely could not get the Evercoats Vette Panel Adhesive. I can understand you excitement.

It shapes like a soft/light type body filler because it is just that. No where close to or even in the same league as Vette Panel Adhesive. That is a FACT.

Hope all goes well in your project.

DUB
Old 10-08-2014, 03:01 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I am GLAD that you are happy with the RAGE GOLD...but knowing that you more than likely could not get the Evercoats Vette Panel Adhesive. I can understand you excitement.

It shapes like a soft/light type body filler because it is just that. No where close to or even in the same league as Vette Panel Adhesive. That is a FACT.

Hope all goes well in your project.

DUB
VPA is as rare as marsians over here, I wish I can see one before I die To cope with that: I glassed as close to final shape as possible, I added layers where needed, I top coated with gelcoat and blocked that . Result is that only a thin layer of putty is needed, never more than 0.5mm (a bit more than 1/32")
Old 10-08-2014, 03:42 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Martians are rare over here I think, I see some pretty strange beings walking around. And good news is that at .5mm you are better than you thought because that is actually just over 1/64" (.5mm=.0197" and 1/64=.0156 1/32=.0312). Good luck with the project.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
VPA is as rare as marsians over here, I wish I can see one before I die To cope with that: I glassed as close to final shape as possible, I added layers where needed, I top coated with gelcoat and blocked that . Result is that only a thin layer of putty is needed, never more than 0.5mm (a bit more than 1/32")
VERY GOOD. Seems like it is getting closer for paint now.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To body filler, my experience

Quick Reply: body filler, my experience