Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Grill Tabs on a 1965

Old 10-19-2014, 09:55 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grill Tabs on a 1965

Can someone please post a picture of the grill area of a 1965 showing if there are mounting tabs. Here is a picture of mine currently:

Old 10-20-2014, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

NOW this is going to be a VERY challenging repair and make it so it will last. I do them from time to time and they are VERY LABOR intensive....even for me. And when I am done...they do not look like a BOZO did it...and they are thick enough to hold the clip.

SERIOUSLY...this is not going to be easy.

I will have to look and see if I have a factory front nose around that has as least one on it and get you the photo.

DUB
Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
NOW this is going to be a VERY challenging repair and make it so it will last. I do them from time to time and they are VERY LABOR intensive....even for me. And when I am done...they do not look like a BOZO did it...and they are thick enough to hold the clip.

SERIOUSLY...this is not going to be easy.

I will have to look and see if I have a factory front nose around that has as least one on it and get you the photo.

DUB
Bummer Does anyone make just that piece?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreOlivier
Bummer Does anyone make just that piece?
I have seen bent metal that were riveted the the body to make the tabs. I have seen hand laid fiberglass tabs made and bonded in place also.

It is all in what you want it to look like when completed. A very high percentage of my 63-67 Corvette customers want it where it is darn near not noticeable....which is where it takes time....lots of time. This is a spot where the sheet wax comes into play also.

DUB
Old 10-22-2014, 06:37 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
I have seen bent metal that were riveted the the body to make the tabs. I have seen hand laid fiberglass tabs made and bonded in place also.

It is all in what you want it to look like when completed. A very high percentage of my 63-67 Corvette customers want it where it is darn near not noticeable....which is where it takes time....lots of time. This is a spot where the sheet wax comes into play also.

DUB
I found a new (not OEM of course) lower front valence for $150. I think I will go that way rather than trying to save what is there.

Get notified of new replies

To Grill Tabs on a 1965

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grill Tabs on a 1965