Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Guide Coat?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:22 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guide Coat?

I am doing a lot of bodywork on my 1965 convertible. A lot of fiberglassing, VPA'ing, replacing panels, etc. What does everyone recommend I use to help when I am block sanding to identify highs, lows, etc. When I have worked in the past on metal bodies I would use dark primer rattle cans. What is recommended on raw fiberglass?

What about Fibreglass Evercoat (FIB721) Guide Coat, Black, Aerosol?
Old 10-26-2014, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not use anything when blocking my body work out. I go entirely by feel. And being able to 'read' how the sandpaper is sanding the surface. I can find low spots of significant value without even having to feel it. The body does not have to be perfect. I do not worry about it due to all of the gelcoat or polyester primer I apply...any minor areas will get filled in. It has everything to know what to do on that first coat of gelcoat or polyester primer. But...when I am blocking any sprayed product ...such as primer. I use the 3M Dry Guide coat. I stopped using any spray guide coats a long time ago.

Spraying anything on your bodywork..regardless of what it is (VPA or raw fiberglass)...that you plan of sanding off...you would have to make sure that you grind or sand it all off before you go in and add more material....which is why I go by feel. I save that step and costs of spray-able product..or even the Dry Guide Coat material.

This is just my opinion on this.

DUB
Old 10-27-2014, 12:55 AM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
I do not use anything when blocking my body work out. I go entirely by feel. And being able to 'read' how the sandpaper is sanding the surface. I can find low spots of significant value without even having to feel it. The body does not have to be perfect. I do not worry about it due to all of the gelcoat or polyester primer I apply...any minor areas will get filled in. It has everything to know what to do on that first coat of gelcoat or polyester primer. But...when I am blocking any sprayed product ...such as primer. I use the 3M Dry Guide coat. I stopped using any spray guide coats a long time ago.

Spraying anything on your bodywork..regardless of what it is (VPA or raw fiberglass)...that you plan of sanding off...you would have to make sure that you grind or sand it all off before you go in and add more material....which is why I go by feel. I save that step and costs of spray-able product..or even the Dry Guide Coat material.

This is just my opinion on this.

DUB
I guess your bottom-line is not to put anything on the raw fiberglass except fiberglass and VPA. Then gelcoat, and then polyester primer. Sand in between coats.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by PierreOlivier
I guess your bottom-line is not to put anything on the raw fiberglass except fiberglass and VPA. Then gelcoat, and then polyester primer. Sand in between coats.
YES. You can use the Dry Guide Coat on the polyester primer to get it correct.

Now the dry guide coat can be sued on top of the cured gelcoat...especially if it a light color. I use black gelcoat and do not need anything because I can immediately tell how the sanding is going due to the change in the color when the black gelcoat is sanded....versus un-sanded black gelcoat.

DUB
Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Gary Wilkerson
Intermediate

Dub,

After guide coating and blocking the gelcoat you still need to primer with something like slickand or Evercoat primer before painting correct?

Gary

Originally Posted by DUB
YES. You can use the Dry Guide Coat on the polyester primer to get it correct.

Now the dry guide coat can be sued on top of the cured gelcoat...especially if it a light color. I use black gelcoat and do not need anything because I can immediately tell how the sanding is going due to the change in the color when the black gelcoat is sanded....versus un-sanded black gelcoat.

DUB
Old 11-06-2014, 05:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary Wilkerson
Dub,

After guide coating and blocking the gelcoat you still need to primer with something like slickand or Evercoat primer before painting correct?

Gary
Gary,
YES...I do. I apply a polyester primer to make sure I get it REALLY RIGHT after I have already blocked the gelcoat. I do NOT put paint on top of gelcoat directly...and in VERY RARE cases... due to carbon fiber or a gelcoated fiberglass part used for a drag race car...I will apply sealer to the part and then paint on it to save on weight.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Guide Coat?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guide Coat?