Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

West systems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:28 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

Default West systems

I've been lurking around here, reading and trying to learn the in and outs of fiberglass repair prep, and coating, because this type of work is in my near future. I'm sold on the VPA checked out there web site, read a lot of reviews on here, sounds like greatest since sliced bread. So heard a lot about the West System on here so checked web site, nothing about corvette bodies, just boats. Is that the right stuff, and company? Chip
Old 10-30-2014, 08:32 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes this is what people have been using. I will be using it shortly on my 75.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 6D2148
I've been lurking around here, reading and trying to learn the in and outs of fiberglass repair prep, and coating, because this type of work is in my near future. I'm sold on the VPA checked out there web site, read a lot of reviews on here, sounds like greatest since sliced bread. So heard a lot about the West System on here so checked web site, nothing about corvette bodies, just boats. Is that the right stuff, and company? Chip
You left out some 'key information'....and that is what year of Corvette are you planning on doing work on.

ALSO...the VPA is AWESOME...but it has limitations and all depends on the repair you plan on using it on. I use VPA primarily...but also know when I have to use another product first...then apply the VPA.

DUB
Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Dub, the reading I did about VPA was your writing(thanks), 1960, car #2148, I will have to go back and search and read a few more times, till it sinks in, (somewhat). Still a little confused about West System, seems they have several different products, none "corvette" specific or even corvette mentioned. Looking for what to buy as this stuff goes on first. Chip
Old 10-31-2014, 05:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

SO you are working on a 1960?????

IF not ...what year are you working on????

DUB
Old 10-31-2014, 05:42 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Yes 1960, and can't wait to drive that sucker. Chip
Old 10-31-2014, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 6D2148
Yes 1960, and can't wait to drive that sucker. Chip
You do NOT need to use WEST SYSTEMS on your car. You can use polyester resin...that you can get from any autobody supply house.

IF you use Evercoats polyester fiberglass resin. .http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=20

MAKE SURE YOU MIX A SMALL BATCH AND TEST IT FIRST!!!!! There is a mixing guide on the can...and this shows how air temps change how much hardener you use. BUT..let it be know...you can still use LESS drops of hardener because this stuff can cure quickly if mixed as they state...and I prefer the mix to take 24 hours to cure out.

AND by mixing a small batch...does not mean to pour out a fluid ounce and add the hardener and let it sit in your mixing cup.....that DOES NOT WORK...and it is because it will give you a FALSE RESULT...because the VOLUME of activated resin in the cup will harden FASTER than if you actually lay out some fiberglass mat on something JUST LIKE you plan to do. Understand???? The reason why the resin will harden faster in the cup with a lot of itself is because it is building up heat internally due to the chemical reaction...when it is spread out and applied correctly....there is not that much resin....thus it will harden correctly....and take longer.

DUB
Old 11-01-2014, 08:51 AM
6D2148
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
You do NOT need to use WEST SYSTEMS on your car. You can use polyester resin...that you can get from any autobody supply house.

IF you use Evercoats polyester fiberglass resin. .http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=20

MAKE SURE YOU MIX A SMALL BATCH AND TEST IT FIRST!!!!! There is a mixing guide on the can...and this shows how air temps change how much hardener you use. BUT..let it be know...you can still use LESS drops of hardener because this stuff can cure quickly if mixed as they state...and I prefer the mix to take 24 hours to cure out.

AND by mixing a small batch...does not mean to pour out a fluid ounce and add the hardener and let it sit in your mixing cup.....that DOES NOT WORK...and it is because it will give you a FALSE RESULT...because the VOLUME of activated resin in the cup will harden FASTER than if you actually lay out some fiberglass mat on something JUST LIKE you plan to do. Understand???? The reason why the resin will harden faster in the cup with a lot of itself is because it is building up heat internally due to the chemical reaction...when it is spread out and applied correctly....there is not that much resin....thus it will harden correctly....and take longer.

DUB
Thanks Dub, this gives me a good starting point Chip

Get notified of new replies

To West systems

Quick Reply: West systems