Removing Seam Sealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:05 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YEAH...that extension is pretty wiped out. It can be repaired and made ...but if a panel is available...that may be the fastest way to get this bonding area repaired.

Now if this extension panel is $1000.00....I would fix this one....because I could spend a lot of time on this before I reached $1000 of my time. If this panel is $60.00.....I would replace it or even section it in if needed.

Knowing you know about laminating now and I do not know if you have used Vette Panel Adhesive yet...sectioning in this panel ( if needed) can be done. Normally I will install a panel as it was designed. But if I can cut a new panel ( NEVER an exterior panel)...section it to part of the existing panel that is still solid...and know that where I bond it I am actually making it stronger...and NOT weaker...I will do so....unless it is in a area that it can easily be seen and possibly judged.

DUB
Hi Dub , well Paragon has the part for $61.00 not . What is bad is the 4 wk turnaround to make it, so I guess I will try to fix the one I have. Know I could wait on that until I take the front clip off the donor and then carefully remove that one . What do you think. Oh by the way I have never used the Evercoat #994 panel adhesive. Does that get mixed also. How come its not in gun form?
R

Last edited by SB64; 11-06-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:26 PM
East Bay 68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Firewall flange question

Originally Posted by DUB

Also..are you planning on putting a one-piece hand laid front clip on...or another press-molded one on???? It 'kinda' makes a difference.

DO yourself a BIG favor and in very small spots...about 1/4" wide.....DO NOT grind all the adhesive off and down to the flange. Especially where you see GM got the adhesive really thick. You can always grind it down if needed...but what this does is makes s shim so the panel will stop...so when setting up the new panel.....you do not have to figure out the trick needed to create a stop....because the panel is going in too far.

ALSO...NOW is the time to address the area of the firewall in the upper/outer corners....where it will leak water. Due to having the front clip off...now is the BEST time to address this area.....unless you have not evidence of water leaking in the hinge posts.

DUB
Hi Dub, I have a 68 (big block) coupe project that I am doing a all-in body off restoration. The car came to me with the front clip removed, as it was damaged and long gone. I have a used but workable 68 front clip I plan to use eventually. Right now the body is on a dolly. I am waiting on the frame to come back from the shop so I want to do get going on some body work. I have been researching the forum body section and I came across your answer to a post about (among other things) the adhesive on the firewall flange. You say to leave some adhesive on there but I don't really understand why. Wouldn't you want the flange nice and flat? I attached a pic of my left side firewall with the adhesive on the flange. I have a feeling my front clip may have been removed in a hurry some 35 years ago but it is what I have to work with! Thanks, Chris
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2016, 05:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by East Bay 68
You say to leave some adhesive on there but I don't really understand why. Wouldn't you want the flange nice and flat? I attached a pic of my left side firewall with the adhesive on the flange. I have a feeling my front clip may have been removed in a hurry some 35 years ago but it is what I have to work with! Thanks, Chris
Chris,
Read what I wrote again. I answered your question in that reply.

Every Corvette I do is different....and YES...some of the flanges have ALL of the adhesive removed due to it being so thin...SOME...do not.

If you feel what I am writing is a bunch of crap...that is fine....BUT when you go to set up your front clip and have issues with it and need advice....you may find my answers may be that you need to build up some material like a shim and get the clip set correctly....hence...why not all of the adhesive is removed.

Read what I wrote previously...I feel you missed it.

If you are going to be doing this and having a thread on your car....AND if you want my input....Private Message me and send me the link and I will check in and help when needed.

DUB
Old 06-26-2016, 10:07 PM
East Bay 68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Chris,
Read what I wrote again. I answered your question in that reply.

Every Corvette I do is different....and YES...some of the flanges have ALL of the adhesive removed due to it being so thin...SOME...do not.

If you feel what I am writing is a bunch of crap...that is fine....BUT when you go to set up your front clip and have issues with it and need advice....you may find my answers may be that you need to build up some material like a shim and get the clip set correctly....hence...why not all of the adhesive is removed.

Read what I wrote previously...I feel you missed it.

If you are going to be doing this and having a thread on your car....AND if you want my input....Private Message me and send me the link and I will check in and help when needed.

DUB
DUB, Thanks for your reply. I have been thinking about it a lot and spent a couple of hours with the car this afternoon, re-read your answer and I think I have a better idea of what you mean. I certainly don't feel what you said is a bunch of crap much the opposite you are the man! I have done some fiberglass stuff before but this is my first corvette project so I'm learning all the time, and your posts are always good info.

I will take your advice and start a thread on the body part of my project, beginning with the firewall. It is dis-bonded from the bird cage and some of the rivets are already broke or were cut at some point (not drilled out), and in general it needs some work, so I am going to remove the firewall and see what is going on back there. Thanks again Dub!, Chris
Old 06-27-2016, 05:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Chris

ALL IS GOOD...

You wrote: re-read your answer and I think I have a better idea of what you mean.

But DO you understand what I wrote...because your reply uses the word 'think' and not the word KNOW

I have worked on Corvettes where the adhesive can be REALLY THICK..up to 1/2" +....and trying to build up a bead of adhesive that thick and then install a panel or whatever...because THAT can change how things are done also (so many variables to consider) that in some cases...taking off all the adhesive makes you having to work harder and yet will still end up with the same end result.

You will get this and I have all the confidence that you have the patience and stamina to follow through with this.

I will write this...that the photo that you posted on post #22....the adhesive you see on the edges can all be removed due to it not being that thick....it does get a bit thicker at the top corner ..but no big deal there. AND you can see that GM did not even use the full width of the flange.....BUT...in your photo...you can see the 3 rivets that hold this gusset panel to the birdcage...and how the rest of this panel is bonded in where needed.

IF your car were in my shop....THIS panel MUST come out....and that is becasue UNDER those 3 rivets is where you can get a leak due to poor sealants GM used.

If you need help in how to separate the bonded areas and NOT BREAK the panel..PM me or start your thread.

DUB

Quick Reply: Removing Seam Sealer