Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Removing loose fibers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing loose fibers

I sprayed the first sealer coat of epoxy primer and I can see that I got a little too aggressive with the sanding in a couple of spots. There are very short hairs sticking up through the sealer. This is on a 1970 car.

This is the first sealer coat, so I would like to deal with this issue before moving on. I am thinking about using a 220 grit paper and lightly sanding the area that has exposed fibers. I would than respray with epoxy in those areas and see what happens. Is there a better way to deal with this?

Here is my original plan: 2 coats of sealer epoxy, 2-3 coats 2K primer, 1 thin coat of epoxy as sealer, base, and clear. 98% of the body filler work was done prior to the sealer using VPA. I say 98% because after spraying the sealer, a couple of small areas that were not visible showed up.

I tried taking a photo of the fibers sticking up, but they do not really show up in photos.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas70
I sprayed the first sealer coat of epoxy primer and I can see that I got a little too aggressive with the sanding in a couple of spots. There are very short hairs sticking up through the sealer. This is on a 1970 car.

This is the first sealer coat, so I would like to deal with this issue before moving on. I am thinking about using a 220 grit paper and lightly sanding the area that has exposed fibers. I would than respray with epoxy in those areas and see what happens. Is there a better way to deal with this?

Here is my original plan: 2 coats of sealer epoxy, 2-3 coats 2K primer, 1 thin coat of epoxy as sealer, base, and clear. 98% of the body filler work was done prior to the sealer using VPA. I say 98% because after spraying the sealer, a couple of small areas that were not visible showed up.

I tried taking a photo of the fibers sticking up, but they do not really show up in photos.

Thanks.
DO as you are thinking. You should be fine. A lot of times what may appear are fiberglass hairs sticking up can be the super small fibers from whatever towel you used to wipe the car down with before spraying it.

DUB

Quick Reply: Removing loose fibers