Paint color II

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:35 PM
cgc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint color II

Hello

As suggestion by one of our members I am copying my post from off-topic to paint and body.

I used to be a regular on here. I still have my 68 Corvette and love it. I know from previous experience if there is any forum that can help me this is the one.

I am in the process of building a 1939 Chevy Street Rod. In my search for finding a color that I think looks good on this body style I came across the photo below. I Love this color on this car. Could anyone identify the car or color for me? It has been suggested the color could be Carlisle Blue.

Charlie

Last edited by cgc; 11-10-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Trying to identify this specific color...do yourself a great big favor. I have color decks in my shop that hold over 10,000 color chips for about every car in the world.

Some paint manufactures have specific color decks....such as blue...and they will hold so many shades from light to dark that you can find a color that is close....then modify it with a lot of pearl...which this color seems to have in it to give it the radiance it seems to have.

It looks very close to the frost blue pearl I used years and years ago.

DUB
Old 11-14-2014, 02:18 PM
cgc
Racer

It looks very close to the frost blue pearl I used years and years ago.

DUB

DUB

Thanks for answering my post. If I go to my local paint supply and ask for "frost blue pearl" is this enough info ? Is this a color choice that only a profession should undertake?

Last edited by cgc; 11-15-2014 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-14-2014, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by cgc
Thanks for answering my post. If I go to my local paint supply and ask for "frost blue pearl" is this enough info ? Is this a color chose that only a profession should undertake?
NO...the 'frost blue pearl" was s specific color that was offered by a paint company over 20 years ago.

AS I wrote....if you go to a paint supplier and look at their color chips. You more than likely can find a light blue very close to this color. Then that is when you have to experiment ( like I do) and add silver pearl or some blue pearl to the color and shoot out test panels until you find the mix that gets you the look you want. Then...you can take that formula of added pearls and such to the paint shop and have them mix it up.

NOW...I have my own paint mixing machine art my shop so I can walk over and add whatever I want and write down what I am doing. This may be a bit harder for you unless you find a paint and body shop that has a very good eye for color and would know how to mix this up.

The color of the car you posted looks like it has a lot of pearl in it due to the luster and the radiance....and the milky look it has when looking down the side of the car.

I would look at color chips for European cars. Mercedes likes to use really fine metallics or pearls.

If you are set on this color...it is not just going to show up. You are either going to have to look for it...or make it yourself.

And.....spraying this color is something that you can do...but you should PRACTICE numerous times until you get comfortable using a spray gun and making sure your technique is perfect. This also has a lot to do with the manufacturer of paint that you choose to use.

It all depends on your level of PATIENCE, attention to detail...staying focused...because there is A LOT MORE than pulling a paint gun trigger to get a car looking like what you posted a photo of. So me writing that you CAN NOT do it is quite unreasonable.....because YOU are the only one who knows what you can and can't do...or WILLING to do.

DUB
Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM
cgc
Racer

DUB

I thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I am new at the body and paint part of this hoppy. I am learning so much from people who like you are willing to help. I thought the color was just a stock color and if I could ID it I could just buy it ready to go. I think my color choice is a little beyond my abilities and circumstances . The car in the OP is what I dream that my car would look like someday. Of course I knew it never would. I am not that good.

After seeing that blue on that car I am not sure I could ever be satisfied with another blue. I am afraid I would always be comparing the two.

Again Thank You
Old 11-15-2014, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by cgc
DUB

I thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I am new at the body and paint part of this hoppy. I am learning so much from people who like you are willing to help. I thought the color was just a stock color and if I could ID it I could just buy it ready to go. I think my color choice is a little beyond my abilities and circumstances . The car in the OP is what I dream that my car would look like someday. Of course I knew it never would. I am not that good.

After seeing that blue on that car I am not sure I could ever be satisfied with another blue. I am afraid I would always be comparing the two.

Again Thank You
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and get this color. Settling for another color that is not one that makes you happy is POINTLESS!!!!!!!

Make this a 'mission'...and I know that you can get it the way you want it. it just may take a little effort to get it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Paint color II

Quick Reply: Paint color II