Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Small Under the clear coat paint imperfections

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 AM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Under the clear coat paint imperfections

Hello, I have a 95 polo green C4, I have these what appear to be small bubbles under the clear coat on the edges of the quarters and front of the door, edges of targa, and bottoms of B pillars . They are VERY tricky to see unless under the right light. There is no indications to me that the car has been repainted I looked at it top and bottom and counldnt find a single tape line or overspray, although I know what to look for I am no means an expert. The only other things I saw were inside the door jambs there was some paint chipping down top bare white, which looks like from dirt being ground into it from the door opening and closing (it was a bit cruddy inside the door jamb) I read high and low that this could be the signs of a good repaint gone bad, or the car sat under a cover for a long period of time and caused a moisture problem in those areas. I am inclined the think its the latter, based on the vehicle history it was not driven for a few years. I dont want to start opening a can of worms with this, but what would be the worst case scenerio? Should I be worried about it popping up and giving me a polka dot corvette, or just leave well enough alone give it a good buff with my DA polisher and call it a day?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Worst case scenario----- A repaint.

Taking a polisher to it is pointless. You can do more damage that good. And the damage done can be removing much needed clear cost thickness....which aids in keeping eh clear thick enough to fight against the UV's of the sun. If the clear gets too thin...the clear chalks out and that is the beginning of the end of the paint job.

I agree...that the car was subjected to moisture being trapped. This is why I HATE car covers...and if one is used...it required maintenance to keep the paint and body in good condition. It is not just cover it up and forget about it.

It more than likely will pop in time...so I would say...ENJOY the car and do not worry about it until it gets bad enough to do something about it....or if this is an issue that you can not live with...then paint it again.

Obviously...it is what you want.

DUB
Old 11-12-2014, 10:06 PM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Worst case scenario----- A repaint.

Taking a polisher to it is pointless. You can do more damage that good. And the damage done can be removing much needed clear cost thickness....which aids in keeping eh clear thick enough to fight against the UV's of the sun. If the clear gets too thin...the clear chalks out and that is the beginning of the end of the paint job.

I agree...that the car was subjected to moisture being trapped. This is why I HATE car covers...and if one is used...it required maintenance to keep the paint and body in good condition. It is not just cover it up and forget about it.

It more than likely will pop in time...so I would say...ENJOY the car and do not worry about it until it gets bad enough to do something about it....or if this is an issue that you can not live with...then paint it again.

Obviously...it is what you want.

DUB
Glad to know I am on the right track, unfortunate it was from a cover that was suppose to protect the car from the elements. It really doesn't feel or look like it will be getting worse any time soon, maybe in a few years maybe more, maybe never? I only see it at certain angles in VERY bright light, but if I wanted a perfect show finish car I would have paid twice what I did I am sure. I asked someone at work if they could see it in daylight and they thought I was making it up, and who can notice that going down the road at 60?

Update: I went out this morning and it was VERY cold, the paint imperfections looked more pronounced. When I went to look at the car it was warm and I didnt really see them. Are these kinds of things weather sensitive? It will be sitting outside all winter, because I live in a complex with no garage, and I dont want it to make it worse. Getting a little worried...

The polisher I have is a meguiars DA polisher. The pad is SUPER soft and plush and made for waxing and polishing. It is non agressive and the polish and wax I use is nothing more than polishing oils, no abrasives.

Last edited by 1stvetteguy; 11-13-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stvetteguy

Update: I went out this morning and it was VERY cold, the paint imperfections looked more pronounced. When I went to look at the car it was warm and I didnt really see them. Are these kinds of things weather sensitive? It will be sitting outside all winter, because I live in a complex with no garage, and I dont want it to make it worse. Getting a little worried...

The polisher I have is a meguiars DA polisher. The pad is SUPER soft and plush and made for waxing and polishing. It is non agressive and the polish and wax I use is nothing more than polishing oils, no abrasives.
Not trying to be a smart @$$,,,but moisture ( water) expands when it gets cold...so YES...these dots can increase in size. No way around it.

Doing your polishing is your choice and I am NOT telling you not to do so. Hopefully it comes out as you desire.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Small Under the clear coat paint imperfections

Quick Reply: Small Under the clear coat paint imperfections