Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Painting my 1981 Corvette

Old 11-12-2014, 06:36 PM
whitestreak3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting my 1981 Corvette

Hello all,
I have a 1981 corvette that I'm looking to repaint. It is beige rights now, which as far as I can tell is the original color, and I want to make it Autumn Red. I was talking with a friend who owns a paint shop a few days ago, and he gave me some information. He said that I just have to sand with 400 grit through the paint, and stop once I get to the original primer. He then recommended to spray over the existing primer with polyester featherfill/Slicksand, which would fill in any body imperfections and seal out the original layer of primer. Finally, I would shoot the basecoat/clearcoat on top of the feather fill/slicksand and be done. He says that he has done this with numerous cars before. What do you all think? Does his method check out? I've heard others recommend just using a high build urethane primer. And the car will be a daily driver, I'm not looking for Bloomington Gold quality, but something that is quality and will last. I like the concept of not having to get down through the original primer and all the way to the SMC....is that even a possibility? Thanks
Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Yes this is possible. Depending on how long it will take to get the paint off down to factory primer with 400 grit.

The primer choice is fine...but I would have it be a little bit more rough. But seeing how he has done this numerous times...he should know what he will stand behind and guarantee.

DUB
Old 11-13-2014, 10:41 AM
whitestreak3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DUB, good point about the 400 grit...im probably go the razor blade route and then use chemical stripper on the hard to reach places and contours. Also, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean about having the primer a little more rough? Also, since slicksand is polyester, would it be ok for me to wetsand it with 400/600? Thanks
Old 11-13-2014, 01:27 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Fiberglass is something I have never done, but back in the day I used to work in a body shop and would prep for paint. If body work was minimal meaning just chips and scratches 220 and 340 was my best friend. It was rare that we would use anything finer than 340.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by whitestreak3
Also, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean about having the primer a little more rough? Also, since slicksand is polyester, would it be ok for me to wetsand it with 400/600? Thanks
You need to read my post again. if you read it again...my comment was referring to the grit (400) that was chosen by your friend....needing to be a bit rougher for the primer being used...that's all I was commenting on.

YES....wet sanding the polyester primer can be done in 400 grit....that is what I use. BUT...just because I do it that way...if you choose to do it the same way...make sure that you also shoot a few small test panels with the primer. Then sand one with 400 grit wet and actually paint it and see how it turns out. My paint system works perfectly when i do it this way....but if you use a basecoat that is thinner and not as heavily bodied as what I shoot...there is a chance for sand scratch tracking.

DO not just shoot the car unless you have a 'game plan' and a procedure that you have tested out and worked for you.....then make sure the car is done THE SAME WAY.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Painting my 1981 Corvette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting my 1981 Corvette