Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

fiberglass matt

Old 12-18-2014, 09:31 PM
egnuol
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DUB
Darrel,
I do not think that removing the inner skirt is a good move.

PM me if you want my phone number...because I am not going to type for hours and try to cover all concerns and techniques.

DUB
PM sent
Old 12-19-2014, 12:53 PM
egnuol
Advanced

I hope we can keep other interested readers up to date on the progress. Thanks
Darrel
Old 12-19-2014, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by egnuol
I hope we can keep other interested readers up to date on the progress. Thanks
Darrel
Darrel,
I am sure others will still keep an eye on your progress.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Mr D. (04-16-2017)
Old 12-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Always interested in what other folks are doing with their vettes. And of course learning a thing or two along the way!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM
egnuol
Advanced

DUB
Here are a few pictures

Dub,
I'm trying to line up body lines with the front repair panels. This may sound odd but are the parking lights square with the body ( as in looking straight ahead) or do they have a slight outward look? My repair panels ( including the parking lights) seem to have a 2 degree outward angle from one another. I haven't laid any glass here yet so I can still point them square ahead but in the free position, they are angled. Thanks, Darrel
Old 01-13-2015, 05:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Look at your parking light housings...I think they are angled so when they get installed...the light point straight ahead when positioned correctly. I have a 63 in my shop and can let you know tomorrow.....but 'something' is making me think the lights correct this slight angle issue.

DUB
Old 01-15-2015, 02:39 PM
egnuol
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
Look at your parking light housings...I think they are angled so when they get installed...the light point straight ahead when positioned correctly. I have a 63 in my shop and can let you know tomorrow.....but 'something' is making me think the lights correct this slight angle issue.

DUB
Right again DUB. I checked the built-in angle on the parking light assembly with a digital protractor and it shows a 6.50 degree angle. The repair panel( however, the bottom 12" not glassed in yet) has approximately 6.60 degree angle from the other parking light. That is very close to being OK to glass in. I used the before measurement for the distance from the louvers to the parking light boss. Thanks again and be safe.
Darrel
Old 01-15-2015, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Right again DUB. I checked the built-in angle on the parking light assembly with a digital protractor and it shows a 6.50 degree angle. The repair panel( however, the bottom 12" not glassed in yet) has approximately 6.60 degree angle from the other parking light. That is very close to being OK to glass in. I used the before measurement for the distance from the louvers to the parking light boss. Thanks again and be safe.
Darrel

DUB
Old 02-05-2015, 05:50 PM
egnuol
Advanced

DUB,

When I was sanding on the surround channel for the hood, I uncovered a small crack about 1/4" long. Part of the crack is on top and part is in the vertical part of the channel. This is in the outside corner of the top part of the channel. It would be exposed with the hood closed. It is about 6" in front of the cowl grille. Could I grind that out, almost through the fender panel, and use resin or would filler with short hair work OK? It would really be a small repair but I don't want it to come back.
Thanks, Darrel
Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB,

When I was sanding on the surround channel for the hood, I uncovered a small crack about 1/4" long. Part of the crack is on top and part is in the vertical part of the channel. This is in the outside corner of the top part of the channel. It would be exposed with the hood closed. It is about 6" in front of the cowl grille. Could I grind that out, almost through the fender panel, and use resin or would filler with short hair work OK? It would really be a small repair but I don't want it to come back.
Thanks, Darrel
If you can detect if this crack is at one of the bonding points of the firewall/plenum area on the underside. Form you description and distance given...it seems close to it.

And YES...Would grind it from the outside...especially if getting to the underside is impossible. And when grinding and prepping it....I would taper the area otu a bit so your lamination will cover a larger area instead of trying to keep it in a small area. going out an easy inch in all directions is what I would do...but that does not mean you have to make the crack into a hole one inch in diameter.

This will take some precise prep....so take you time. And it will be a but tricky getting the fibers of the mat to go over the edge without wanting to lift up. SO...honestly...this is one of the areas where I literally apply the strands individually so I can control them.....INSTEAD of trying to use a swatch of the mat and do it in one application.

Use can use a swatch of the mat...but you have to distress the fibers in the area where it is going to make the bend to take ALL of the starchiness out of the mat...so it does not lift up after you apply it....and DO NOT cut it square with scissors...leave it with frayed edges.

Also..making sure that your concentrations of mat and resin need to be really good...so do not go crazy with a lot of resin 'thinking' that is better.

DUB
Old 02-06-2015, 10:27 AM
egnuol
Advanced

Gotcha, thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fiberglass matt