Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Block sanding a C3

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Block sanding a C3

I started block sanding the body on my 70 and good grief, how are people doing this?

I have the dura-blocks, but there is nothing flat on this car. Every surface has multiple compound curves (except the rear deck).

I am putting down a glide coat and trying to work the blocks at 45 degree angles, but I just don't trust the results.

Any DIY ideas for blocks that will follow the curves?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas70
I started block sanding the body on my 70 and good grief, how are people doing this?

I have the dura-blocks, but there is nothing flat on this car. Every surface has multiple compound curves (except the rear deck).

I am putting down a glide coat and trying to work the blocks at 45 degree angles, but I just don't trust the results.

Any DIY ideas for blocks that will follow the curves?
First off...YEAH ...how do I do this???? Inch by inch.

What grit are you using????

There is no set way to block a Corvette. You are basically sculpting...and knowing how much pressure to apply to the block...depending on what you feel WITH YOUR HAND....will dictate how to sand it and with how much pressure.

I use a section of radiator hose for some of the curves...and knowing how to use it will depends on your technique. It is NOT as simple as me telling you to go this way or that way. It ALL depends...which is why you need to develop your sense of feel.

I also do not like to apply a guide coat on the body...because I trust me hand and what it feels. I will use 3M 's DRY GUIDE COAT powder when I am blocking out my primer...but that also is technique...and you can screw that up fast...and the pressure you apply to your sanding block also makes a difference when.

I swirl my blocks...take short one direction stokes...long strokes...back and forth and up and dorm and at 45 degree angles.....it all depends...because the way I sand can remove a small high spot with out damaging or distorting the surrounding fiberglass.

I will write this....if you were working for me...you would hone your sense of feel in so precise...that I could test you on panels and you would be able to feel where the highs and lows are without using a guide coat.

Acquiring the sense of feel to a high level is not that hard. Make sure your hand is flat and you have a clean towel...like a piece of t-shirt material under it. This fabric magnifies what your hand can feel...then CLOSE YOUR EYES...and let your hand tell your brain what it feels. Start in an area that you basically know is correct...then FOCUS and CONCENTRATE and move to the area you have concerns about....the second you go across a bad area...you hand will feel it.

AND knowing that you are more than likely going to be applying gelcoat or a high build primer....if these materials are applied CORRECTLY...you will be amazed in what they can cover over and fill. NOT recommending that you do ALL you bodywork in gelcoat or primer....but there is a point when you have to stop and spray something on the body...or you will be working to get it perfect for years and years....and that is NOT the point. And if you are one of those people who just HAVE TO HAVE the body prefect. BEST of luck to you. I am one of 'those type of people'...and I know when to stop and apply gelcoat or polyester primer

DUB
Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks DUB. I was not clear on my original post, but you answered my question anyway...

I did block the VPA (on bare fiberglass) by feel, I applied that everywhere it felt like it needed it. I then sprayed epoxy primer and blocked that as much as I thought possible without going through. I have now sprayed 3 coats of regular build 2K primer and have sanded most of that off (or at least it seems that way). I am using the 3m dry coat on the primer. I just wanted to make sure there was not a file board or something that would help. I can feel the areas that need attention, but not sure I trust I am fixing it...

I am going to spray one more coat of 2K primer and dry coat it one last time, after that I am just going to lay color. I have already messed around way longer than I should have.

Get notified of new replies

To Block sanding a C3

Quick Reply: Block sanding a C3