Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

1963 SWC windshield installation

Old 11-25-2014, 09:16 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1963 SWC windshield installation

I pulled out my windshield on my 63. I have a couple of questions. My clips appear to be in good condition. Can they be reused? Also I am installing new windshield weather stripping, should I also use some bedding material? My glass guy says he does not use anything but the the windshield gasket. Same goes for the rear windows, should I use some sort of sealant? Thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 05:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson 63
I pulled out my windshield on my 63. I have a couple of questions. My clips appear to be in good condition. Can they be reused? Also I am installing new windshield weather stripping, should I also use some bedding material? My glass guy says he does not use anything but the the windshield gasket. Same goes for the rear windows, should I use some sort of sealant? Thanks
If you do not apply or install some type of non hardening sealant....you will either....get a water leak....or....have water sit in the windshield frame and rust out your clips...and even rust out the frame. How do I know this????? Because I get the pleasure of fixing these issues when someone 'thinks' that JUST the gasket is GOOD ENOUGH....and it is NOT!!!!

Also...DO NOT...allow this person to use current windshield urethane like for new cars of today. This is a BIG...HUGE...MISTAKE! And that is to either bond the weatherstrip to the glass or pumping it in after the glass is set. I do not use anything in the weatherstrip gasket and the glass. if I need something...I pump it in after the glass is set.

I use products from CR Laurence....and some soft strip caulk that does not dry out. DO NOT use 3M 'bedding and glazing compound' because it fails over time...it actually dries out and draws up and will create gaps...and when removed it comes out much like their strip caulk....and do not ask me how I KNOW THIS to be
TRUE!

Marking the clip location is important if removed...and as long as they are good...you should be able to re-use them.

Best of luck to you because this is NOT a fun job.

This is my opinion on this...and others may differ...but with well over 30+ mid-year windshields under my belt...I have refined my process and it is still no fun.

DUB
Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

Hi Dub, first thanks for the info. I want to make sure I have this right. Do I run a bead of the CR Laurence product into the window channel, then the clips go in, then the weatherstrip and windshield? How much of the Laurence product do I use? Do you have a part number of the CR Laurence product? Also no bedding or caulk between the glass and the weatherstrip is that correct?
My glass guy does not want to use anything other that the windshield gasket. Could I inject the Laurence product after the windshield is in?
Old 11-27-2014, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Hi Dub, first thanks for the info. I want to make sure I have this right. Do I run a bead of the CR Laurence product into the window channel, then the clips go in, then the weatherstrip and windshield? How much of the Laurence product do I use? Do you have a part number of the CR Laurence product? Also no bedding or caulk between the glass and the weatherstrip is that correct?
My glass guy does not want to use anything other that the windshield gasket. Could I inject the Laurence product after the windshield is in?
I will get you the part numbers for the two products I use.

You can run a bead in the lower angle of the channel. Then install the clips...or have the clips in place and run the bead. This sealant will flow somewhat.

I (personally) do not use anything on the gasket when i am installing ti on the windshield. I know that many have urethane it in....but I prefer not to do that. IF I need sealant..i can get it in when the glass is in position.

How much do I use. whatever it takes to fill in where I want o fill in so water can not find its way to the clips and into the car. Hard to say.

I have also made a special tube that I can insert between the weatherstrip and the body and pump it in...basically a piece of tube that I flattened...and then beat a taper punch in the other end so it will slip onto the end of the caulking tube end....and in the middle of the tube... I brazed a large washer so i can hold it when pumping the sealant.

DUB
Old 12-07-2014, 07:19 AM
jackson 63
Instructor

Hi Dub, could I get the Laurence products that you use. Also I am getting my car painted here in Minnesota, how long should I wait before I expose it to the cold. My shop is not heated.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Hi Dub, could I get the Laurence products that you use. Also I am getting my car painted here in Minnesota, how long should I wait before I expose it to the cold. My shop is not heated.
YES...sorry about that.....I FORGOT to respond with the numbers.

I assume that whoever is painting it is going to be in temperature controlled booth....correct???

If they run it through the bake cycle...if they plan on doing that....then when it cools down....it is basically ready to go.

If your shop is NOT heated...it can not be that far off from the temps outside....correct. AND I am assuming that you are NOT painting it in a COLD shop...correct.

Kinda hard to decipher what you wrote and your intentions....got it somewhat.

DUB
Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

The car will be painted in a heated shop. No bake cycle, just air dry in a heated shop. How long does it take to dry under those conditions. I just want to make sure it is dry before I bring it home to my cold shop.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

The car will be painted in a heated shop. No bake cycle, just air dry in a heated shop. How long does it take to dry under those conditions. I just want to make sure it is dry before I bring it home to my cold shop.
I had a rough day and forgot the CR Laurence numbers on my desk. Will get them to you tomorrow....sorry.

How hot will it be in the shop at the time of painting??? That is the BIG question.

DUB
Old 12-08-2014, 08:40 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

I would think the shop would be 72 to 75 deg F during the paint job.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

The CRL numbers are CRL1716 and CRL7708.

If the car body is actually at this temperature during painting....and when it is done....some type of exhaust fans are being used so you are NOT allowing the car to be in a foggy and fumy situation...it could take 16+hours to allow the paint to cure to the point where it can be put into service. NOW....Call the paint company and ask then how they feel about it.

If the car is allowed to be in a room with very little to no air movement and air change-out...so allowing the car to cure in an environment full of fumes does effect its curing...and can also kill the shine on the clear due to being in such a solvent rich environment. I leave my paint booth exhaust fans run all night so it aid in curing the paint due to air is being pulled across the paint job when the solvents are coming out....AND...as I have written before.....I also give the coats of base MORE time to flash...so those layers can dry out better ...but yet still stay in the 'window' of time for each coat being applied after. When the clear goes on...I do it as needed and do not allow it to cure out MORE than what was stated in text and conditions at the time of shooting.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 SWC windshield installation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1963 SWC windshield installation