Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Bought wing and sideskirts; want to put in primer

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 08:47 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought wing and sideskirts; want to put in primer

So my car is red (and needs paint..) and I have installed a new wing and sideskirts that are white from the factory. Pretty sure they are fiberglass. I'd really like to get them into a red primer so they kinda-sort match the car and I dont look so dooshy driving it until the car gets painted. And since it's winter, I've got some spare time on my hands.

What are my options for paint? I'm not a pro, so I def. dont have a gun. Will ****-can automotive primer work for this?

Pic of said body pieces:

Old 11-29-2014, 09:28 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had really good result painting the replacement front bumper on my 99 mustang with rattle cans from automotivetouchup.
Even has cans of clear. Has most colors, had the electric green for my car which is a one year rare color. Worth a shot esp if you dont have a sprayer.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:44 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

I wish I knew what the actual material is, but if you look on the inside of the panels (I know, not all attached in this pic) its fiberglass looking strands. The outside, the part you see, is very smooth plastic. Will I have to sand this down and ****-can it?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It is more than likely fiberglass and the white is the gelcoat. You should have some parting lines where the white is slightly raised where the molds joined. This is normal and will require sanding.

You can do what you want....but it is hard for me to tell you to use a rattle can and then you run into a cluster. There are some rattle can primers out on the market but that are expensive because they are a professional grade and not some stuff from a big box store.

If you are wanting to do it correctly...I will be more than glad to help you out.....but using rattle can products ( that are not specifically designed) can be a problem...even though many people use them and have decent results. But painting what you want painted in rattle cans. I would not do it. And trying to get this done on the super cheap...can come back and bite you....especially if you are planning on driving around with them in the state they are now or in a primer. This can open up more time and effort due to road contaminants,oil, exhaust, etc that get into the surface that you have to deal with.

And using a rattle can primer and then having the car painted professionally would more than likely cause the paint shop to strip off all that was applied...because any good paint shop would know NOT to use a rattle can primer as a base for paint...especially if it was not the correctly designed rattle can primer....and I know I would prefer to use the correct 2K primer right off the bat.

DUB
Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Ah.. yes thats exactly what I was trying to do. Was trying to self prep the car the best I could for when it comes time to get painted. Thought it would be something somewhat simple for me to pull off. Just really hate the white pieces on the car right now lol.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
Ah.. yes thats exactly what I was trying to do. Was trying to self prep the car the best I could for when it comes time to get painted. Thought it would be something somewhat simple for me to pull off. Just really hate the white pieces on the car right now lol.
Honestly...if you were my customer...I would tell you to take them off and wait...because you are going to add more $$$$ to the bill if you leave them on a and drive it. Prepping virgin parts is one thing...prepping parts that have been nicked up and oil, grease and 'whatever' gets into the nick and into the fiberglass is now something ENTIRELY different.

SO if you want to drive it and look cool...fine by me...but you are going to pay for that 'cool' in the long run. Because these parts already need to be cleaned thoroughly to remove any mold release wax...that is on them now.

Just trying to pass along a professional perspective....that's all.

DUB
Old 11-30-2014, 06:59 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Right now the surface is very glossy... if it gets dirty, I can get a rag and clean it.

Thank you for your input though, it's always appreciated.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
Right now the surface is very glossy... if it gets dirty, I can get a rag and clean it.

Thank you for your input though, it's always appreciated.
KEY WORD..."Right now"...it will not be for long... if driven. Especially the ground effect parts. And fuel drip-page getting in the seams of the wing.

It is up to you....and being a professional painter.....it adds to the 'drama' when prepping. Because when I clean, prep, clean, repair, clean, prep and shoot primer and it 'whale eyes"...Not fish eyes...but huge whale eyes...it causes the process to stop and have to backtrack....and wasted primer that goes bad and hardens up. Do not ask me how I know this.

DUB
Old 11-30-2014, 07:40 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

I see I see. Well shoot. Thank you for the input DUB you always shine through on this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought wing and sideskirts; want to put in primer

Quick Reply: Bought wing and sideskirts; want to put in primer