Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Removing painted on letters

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:39 PM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Removing painted on letters

I have a non-corvette race car that has someone's name painted on the side. The Previous owner was pretty sure that it wasnt cleared over and was on top of the paint and clear from a previous paint job.

The car is red and right now I have red duct tape over it. It actually matches pretty good.

What should I try to remove the letters--what grit sand paper?

Should i try to just sand the letters or is it safe to sand the whole area?

What would you do in this situation?

Worst case I can tape it back and continue racing. It is about 8" long and the width of the tape.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What type of race car???? You want feedback but opinions on what to do and left out important information. If it is a Formula 1 car....sand it and have it painted...if it is a dirt track car...tape over it and have fun. hard to say.

Also you are not posting photos of what it looks like and if you are wanting sand off the letters and hope fully not damage the paint under it....but if these letters are going over styling lines...it is hard to do that if you are not experienced...and even with experience...you can break through the color and require painting.

If these letters were or seem to be hand painted on using lettering enamel...'Easy-Off' oven cleaner will remove it without damaging the paint underneath...but you have to test it first and use COMMON SENSE.

Numerous grits can be used. But you are letting us know how thick these letters are when you feel the edge of it.

Too many questions and unknowns without me telling you to sue a specific grit and you come back stating that it is now all screwed up.

DUB
Old 12-07-2014, 07:15 PM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Ok, thanks. It is a 64 triumph spitfire that I vintage race with SVRA. If it damages the paint, underneath then I will just put the tape back over it until it needs to be painted. The paint is pretty good so that may be a while. I can definitely feel the letters but again, not sure what type of paint, whether it was cleared or what.

If I had to guess, I would say that it was just lettered on a while after it was painted.

I will spot check the area with Easy Off and see if that does anything. Should it sit? Spray on a rag and then wipe on? I dont want to mess up the area around it. Obviously I would tape of the area to prevent any overspray.

I dont have a pic of just the area but here is the car.

You can see it on the top of the door, just above the number.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

A photo of the area is needed.

I can not tell you to use 'Easy-Off' because you did not let me know if the lettering looks like it is hand painted....or the photo would help me on this.

COOL CAR...looks like fun ride.

DUB
Old 12-08-2014, 03:55 PM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Thanks, its like a gokart on steroids. I will have to go to my storage and get a close up pic.

I definitely see brush strokes and I have an old receipt (PO kept everything) for hand lettering. I can feel the paint with my fingernail.

Also, I am not THAT concerned if I mess it up and have to take it to the painter. I can live with the tape probably until I move onto another car
Old 12-08-2014, 04:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by TX63CONV
Thanks, its like a gokart on steroids. I will have to go to my storage and get a close up pic.

I definitely see brush strokes and I have an old receipt (PO kept everything) for hand lettering. I can feel the paint with my fingernail.

Also, I am not THAT concerned if I mess it up and have to take it to the painter. I can live with the tape probably until I move onto another car
If it somewhat glossy...and you can see brush strokes. Put a little of the Easy-Off on a Q-Tip and dab it and it should lift it off. May take few minutes depending on how much you put on and the temperature at the time.

DUB
Old 12-08-2014, 11:48 PM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
If it somewhat glossy...and you can see brush strokes. Put a little of the Easy-Off on a Q-Tip and dab it and it should lift it off. May take few minutes depending on how much you put on and the temperature at the time.

DUB
Perfect. Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out
Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by TX63CONV
Perfect. Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out
Please do.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Removing painted on letters