Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Default Wrapping Car with Protective Paint Film (PPF) Advice Needed - Digishield, Xpe

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:23 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Default Wrapping Car with Protective Paint Film (PPF) Advice Needed - Digishield, Xpe

Thinking of having a good portion of my car wrapped for paint protection. I've no experience with any of the available products. Two names I've had suggested are Digishield and Xpel. I'm sure there are many others?

A local shop with a good reputation quoted me $1,850 to wrap with Xpel. He'll do the entire front of the car (i.e., doors forward), lower part of the doors and rockers, mirrors and some of the rear quarters. Front edge of the spoiler as well. Seems pricey?

I'd appreciate some advice.

Rick
Old 12-10-2014, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Thinking of having a good portion of my car wrapped for paint protection. I've no experience with any of the available products. Two names I've had suggested are Digishield and Xpel. I'm sure there are many others?

A local shop with a good reputation quoted me $1,850 to wrap with Xpel. He'll do the entire front of the car (i.e., doors forward), lower part of the doors and rockers, mirrors and some of the rear quarters. Front edge of the spoiler as well. Seems pricey?

I'd appreciate some advice.

Rick
Rick,
Applying this type of film is NO PICNIC. If in doubt...go buy some...and apply it. Then when you spend hours and hours and waste a lot of material...you then will see that the price may not be so bad after all. It is like a paint job....the actual cost of materials is one thing...BUT it is the LABOR that causes the cost to be so high....which is why many choose to give it a try and do it themselves...and that is not including the tools to do the paint job also..

I can not tell you what film is the best....maybe others can chime in and advise/comment/suggest.

One thing you might want to ask is if they cut the product on the car. I have worked on a few cars that had the film on them and when it was removed for repairs and painting...I noticed that the clearcoat was cut slightly. SO...eh shop that installed it...trimmed it on the car....and cut into the clearcoat. NOT bad...but still caused me to have to address this issue during the prepping stages.

DUB

Quick Reply: Default Wrapping Car with Protective Paint Film (PPF) Advice Needed - Digishield, Xpe