Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

best way to seal/repair this crack?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Steener
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best way to seal/repair this crack?

So, after much searching and at rather outrageous expense, I managed to acquire an (allegedly) "perfect" lower left fender panel for my 95. (Not purchased from anyone on the forum, by the way.)

After removing a piece of masking tape from the bottom edge, I found this crack around the rear mounting hole. It's actually more than a crack-- I doubt it would take more than a gentle tug to break it right off. Even with this flaw, it's better than the one I have, so I'm hoping I can salvage it.

Can anyone suggest a good way to fix this? Since this panel gives access to the battery, it needs to be solid to allow it to come off and on from time-to-time.

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The "PBT" in the square in your one photo is usually what is telling you what type of plastic it is made out of.

I usually see the identification of the plastic used to make the part and it is in an OVAL.

Contact LORD FUSOR or SEM and see what they say/recommend. That is what I would do.

This can either be an easy fix...or one that may take some very specific prep due to it being plastic and it is usually NORMAL that you do not wipe it with a solvent.....which can attach the plastic and make it swell and thus the surface can be effected so the bond is now sacrificed and not as optimum.

DUB
Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Steener
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
The "PBT" in the square in your one photo is usually what is telling you what type of plastic it is made out of.

I usually see the identification of the plastic used to make the part and it is in an OVAL.

Contact LORD FUSOR or SEM and see what they say/recommend. That is what I would do.

This can either be an easy fix...or one that may take some very specific prep due to it being plastic and it is usually NORMAL that you do not wipe it with a solvent.....which can attach the plastic and make it swell and thus the surface can be effected so the bond is now sacrificed and not as optimum.

DUB
Thanks for the advice, DUB. I'll reach out to LORD FUSOR and SEM and see what they suggest. I took another look at the part this morning and don't see anything stamped inside an oval anywhere -- just the "PBT" in the square.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Here's some help:
Polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) is a thermoplastic engineering polymer
Old 12-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Steener
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Here's some help:
Polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) is a thermoplastic engineering polymer
Thanks, Dave (and DUB).

I sent a note to lord.com this morning and they replied within 30 minutes with a product recommendation as well as detailed instructions and advice on how to make this repair. Really helpful.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Steener
Thanks, Dave (and DUB).

I sent a note to lord.com this morning and they replied within 30 minutes with a product recommendation as well as detailed instructions and advice on how to make this repair. Really helpful.
Being a plastic...prep and what you use is important. Make sure you follow the instructions BASICALLY to the LETTER. By simply wiping it with an un-approved solvent PRIOR to the application of the adhesive can ruin EVERYTHING. Remember...it is ALWAYS that 1/1,000,000th of an inch of surface contaminate or absorbed un-approved chemical that can ruin the bond.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To best way to seal/repair this crack?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best way to seal/repair this crack?