Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C1 Fiberglass Repair. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:52 AM
Chim_Chim
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C1 Fiberglass Repair. HELP

I have a crack in my floor at the bottom of the hump where the front of the seat bolts in. Originally, I thought it was from too much weight on the thin floor, but recently noticed that the lower rocker just in front of the door hinges has damage and there is a crack in the fiberglass with a chunk missing behind the rocker. What is the correct way to fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Chim_Chim; 01-09-2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Are you planning on painting it???

Is the interior in it?????

I can DEFINITELY tell that this car has some 'body filler' in it. AND this type is the type I would not use...but hat is just my opinion on that. I can see it in the third, fourth and fifth photo you posted. The green stuff.

Laminating in fiberglass and resin is going to fix the floor board crack....and will also fill and cover the hole in your fourth photo.

AS for the chunks and 'issues' seen in your last photo. Honestly...if it were in my shop. I would attack it with a grinder and get to the root of the problem. Then I would just have to see what that grayish 'stuff' is where it was poorly slapped to the inside of the panel and smeared around in the third and fourth photo.

DUB
Old 01-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Chim_Chim
Intermediate

Hi DUB,

Thank you for your reply and opinion.

Yes, I'm planning on painting the car. It is currently in primer, which is the way I purchased it and completely blown apart, so No interior. I discovered lots of body work once I started sanding off some of the primer. See pics below. I was going to strip it back to the fiberglass and start from square one. Is this what you would advise?

Looks like I have a date with my grinder. I'll let you know how bad it is.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chim_Chim
Hi DUB,

Thank you for your reply and opinion.

Yes, I'm planning on painting the car. It is currently in primer, which is the way I purchased it and completely blown apart, so No interior. I discovered lots of body work once I started sanding off some of the primer. See pics below. I was going to strip it back to the fiberglass and start from square one. Is this what you would advise?

Looks like I have a date with my grinder. I'll let you know how bad it is.
YES....I would start at 'square one'. I do not trust anyone's body work when I am doing a paint job.

DUB
Old 01-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Chim_Chim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
YES....I would start at 'square one'. I do not trust anyone's body work when I am doing a paint job.

DUB
Would you suggest using a DA or is there a better/faster way?
Old 01-10-2015, 07:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Would you suggest using a DA or is there a better/faster way?
That depends on your skill level. I would use a grinder and take it slow....but I have been doing it for a long time and know what to do.

Hard to tell you to use a chain saw to cut down a tree if you can not handle a chain saw.....see what I mean????

DUB
Old 01-18-2015, 03:05 AM
Chim_Chim
Intermediate

DUB,

Thanks for the great advice all around. The DA was taking too long so I took it slow and steady with my grinder and got the hang of it pretty quick. The lower rocker is roghted all along the bottom. I should have the rest of filler removed tomorrow. Any advice on rebuilding/relaminating the two panels back together (Inner and outer)?

Also, I uncovered lots of spyder cracks. Would a couple layers of mat laminate fix this?

Old 01-18-2015, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB,

Thanks for the great advice all around. The DA was taking too long so I took it slow and steady with my grinder and got the hang of it pretty quick. The lower rocker is roghted all along the bottom. I should have the rest of filler removed tomorrow. Any advice on rebuilding/relaminating the two panels back together (Inner and outer)?

Also, I uncovered lots of spyder cracks. Would a couple layers of mat laminate fix this?
YES...lots of advice but I am not typing it all out.

PM me if you want to talk....so I can give you my shop number and you can call me.

DUB
Old 01-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Chim_Chim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...lots of advice but I am not typing it all out.

PM me if you want to talk....so I can give you my shop number and you can call me.

DUB
PM Sent. Thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Fiberglass Repair. HELP

Quick Reply: C1 Fiberglass Repair. HELP