Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Curious About Wet Sanding???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Curious About Wet Sanding???

I've always wet sanded before color. Occasionally I read something that's not really clear, but, implies that particular person dry sanded with the appropriate grit paper before color. Is one better than the other? Is there a time and a place for both? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

BOTH work. IT all depends on what you are applying AFTER the sanding process and what the manufacturer recommends. (which SOMETIMES does not mean anything) because SOME PEOPLE find another method that works for them and have adjusted mixing ratios and how much product they are applying at that time.

Some do not like water sanding because they do not want water blowing out of seams and panels because they are in a hurry.

I water sand prior to paint because I want to wash everything off...by that is the way I want to do it....because I am NOT in hurry at this point in the job. And I like that I can soak my wet sand paper for a while and take some of the stiffness out of it so it is less likely to put a crease in my primer when sanding.

I have strictly dry sanded many things that I have painted ( NOT Corvettes) and have not had a problem. Refrigerators, tool boxes, electric guitars and dirt track race cars to mention a few.

DUB

Quick Reply: Curious About Wet Sanding???