Will A Paint Crack Spread?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Ronnie C3J
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will A Paint Crack Spread?

This may have been answered already, but I can't seem to find it:

I have a small crack in the paint/enamel of my 1971 Corvette. (Just FYI: It was properly repainted about 8 years ago- they did a great job). I'm not worried about the way it looks. It's very small. But should I be worried about it spreading?

It was caused by the pressure I put on the lock cylinder on the driver's side when I re-installed it. Now, every time I turn the key, I'm afraid it will crack more. The car has other minimal "battle scars", but this one worries me since I see it every time I get in.

If there is a chance for it to spread, is the a remedy I could use to prevent it?

As always, thanks so much for your help.

-Ron
Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie C3J
I have a small crack in the paint/enamel of my 1971 Corvette. (Just FYI: It was properly repainted about 8 years ago- they did a great job). I'm not worried about the way it looks. It's very small. But should I be worried about it spreading?
It is hard to say due to not knowing if it just the paint that cracked or if it also the body.

In time...if water and crap get in this crack...it can worsen. The crack may not increase...but paint may flake off in time.

Originally Posted by Ronnie C3J
If there is a chance for it to spread, is the a remedy I could use to prevent it?
ALWAYS a chance...and now knowing what is under the paint...hard to say.

Possibly put some activated clear in teh crack or some super glue to seal it up due to ....as you wrote...." I'm not worried about the way it looks".

That is all I got.

DUB
Old 01-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Ronnie C3J
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice DUB-

Get notified of new replies

To Will A Paint Crack Spread?

Quick Reply: Will A Paint Crack Spread?