Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

fender flare repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default fender flare repair

On my 64, some owners ago someone put on wide finder flares. After that, someone else took them out again and remodelled them to standard. However he did not respect curved outside edges so they went in a straight line from one end to the other end of the wheel well. I remodelled them by laying multiple layers of glass on top and shaping them correctly. Still looks rather clumsy on the inside, because the one before me fixed his glass insert with what I believe to be VPA. Should I just leave it as is or is it worth the effort to sand that down and lay some fibre? (I guess the answer is yes, but after one year of body work I kind of got fed up with patching and shaping) And yes, it would have been better to do this before I did the remodelling
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It all boils down to like what I have written before. If you want to do it...you will. if you don't want to do it...you won't. It is all in what you want. if you were paying me to do this...that area would have to be repaired so my reputation would not be connected to such a poor fill job.

I know you did not ask but I have to mention it for others who may look at this.

The type of filer you are using ( the green stuff looking like RAGE GOLD)...that is going over the pink filler. WELL...if you car were in my shop...that would be all ground out and filled in with Vette Panel Adhesive....NO questions about it.

And the exposed seam you can see would need to be ground on and filled over to take to issues of seams showing back up...out of the equation.

I am sure you will find your solution.

DUB
Old 02-11-2015, 02:50 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
...The type of filer you are using ( the green stuff looking like RAGE GOLD)...that is going over the pink filler. WELL...if you car were in my shop...that would be all ground out and filled in with Vette Panel Adhesive....NO questions about it.

And the exposed seam you can see would need to be ground on and filled over to take to issues of seams showing back up...out of the equation.

I am sure you will find your solution.

DUB
Thanks Dub, as I told you before, impossible to get Vette Panel Adhesive where I live, so I need to do with what I can get.
The 'exposed' seam is not exposed at all. It was fully 'valleyed' out (front to back of car, including tail) and covered with glass matt.

But I agree that even if the ugly flare repair is hidden from those who don't know, I do know and I will probably feel bad not giving it a nicer and better finish.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
Thanks Dub, as I told you before, impossible to get Vette Panel Adhesive where I live, so I need to do with what I can get.
The 'exposed' seam is not exposed at all. It was fully 'valleyed' out (front to back of car, including tail) and covered with glass matt.

But I agree that even if the ugly flare repair is hidden from those who don't know, I do know and I will probably feel bad not giving it a nicer and better finish.
SORRY...Forgot where you are and I should have looked before commenting.

DARN-IT...I am 2 for 2. Just took a close look at the photo and noticed the strands passing over the seam.

For what it is worth. I would skim coat filler over the seam where you laminated...if you are not planning on doing so. BECAUSE....when you prime it...I would bet $1,000,000 that you will have numerous microscopic exposed air bubbles showing up. And the more you prime...often time the worse they get. And that is if you did not vacuum bag your lamination.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To fender flare repair

Quick Reply: fender flare repair