Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What Sealant Do I Use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default What Sealant Do I Use?

What product should I use to fill this seam in the door jamb?

Also, what is used in the wiper cowl area? That thick black stuff that's in there? I have a 1968 coupe. Thank you, Jason.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For the door jamb ....SEM BEIGE SEAM SEALER ( part number 39477) and takes special gun to apply. And I know you did not ask but this jamb is not ready for seam sealer. The bare metal showing is not good. Knowing you did not ask but this reply is for others who may look at your photos. I would strip all the paint off the steel portion of the hinge post and then apply a coat of PPG black epoxy primer. When it has dried. THEN I would apply the SEM Beige seam sealer.

AS for the black stuff in the wiper cowl. I clean the cowl out and then apply the same seam sealer and ten apply some PPG black epoxy primer and then apply a coat or two of black paint on that to seal it all in. I clean and do whatever I need to around the wiper arms and get them sealed again also. All depends on what the customer is wanting. if they are wanting it to look like the crappy job GM did. I use products from C.R Laurence for that.

DUB

Quick Reply: What Sealant Do I Use?