Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint for aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 AM
jackson 63
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint for aluminum wheels

I would like to paint the aluminum aftermarket wheels on my Corvette. What type and brand of paint should I use. Or would powder coating be the way to go?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson 63
I would like to paint the aluminum aftermarket wheels on my Corvette. What type and brand of paint should I use. Or would powder coating be the way to go?
Powder coating would me choice. And a lot of it depends on the quality of the casting...if they are casted and then machined. Out gassing can occur and create small bubbles in the finish of the powder coating if the casting is porous.

Also...if you choose to paint them and you want the aluminum to show and not apply a color. Applying clear to the aluminum can possibly fail due to a lack of an adhesion promoter being applied which is either sprayed on and can discolor the aluminum or an applied acid etch prep for aluminum that does the same thing. If you paint them and them apply a clear...the clear need to be one that allows you to add a hardener to it.

I have seen guys who shoot them with 'rattle can' clear,,,and they look good for a short while..and then fail. A lot of that has to do with how much clear you apply to give it some body and thickness.

DUB

Quick Reply: Paint for aluminum wheels