More Mystery Holes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:52 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More Mystery Holes

I have patched a lot of holes in my 65 convertible. Here are three more holes that I don't believe are stock. I would just like a confirmation. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM
egnuol
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pierre,
I agree and I don't see those holes on my '65 convertible. The top ones would actually be in the carpet area. Yes?
Darrel
Old 03-02-2015, 12:52 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by egnuol
Pierre,
I agree and I don't see those holes on my '65 convertible. The top ones would actually be in the carpet area. Yes?
Darrel
Hey Darrel,

Yes - the two holes are in the carpet area. The third is in the jack/storage area. I do remember that when I was tearing down the car that hole had an air pressure valve. I am thinking in the car's 50 year history someone put air shocks on

Time to break out more fiberglass
Old 03-02-2015, 05:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

NOT STOCK...fill them in.

DUB
Old 03-02-2015, 05:30 PM
egnuol
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PierreOlivier
Hey Darrel,

Yes - the two holes are in the carpet area. The third is in the jack/storage area. I do remember that when I was tearing down the car that hole had an air pressure valve. I am thinking in the car's 50 year history someone put air shocks on

Time to break out more fiberglass
Been there for sure back in the day. Seems as though you can't have enough of repair glass.
Darrel
Old 03-02-2015, 10:45 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by egnuol
Been there for sure back in the day. Seems as though you can't have enough of repair glass.
Darrel
Yeah fiberglass and VPA - been my life for the last couple months

Got a ways to go:

Attach new tailight panel
Finish fiberglassing in (bottom part) of differential fiberglass panel
Attach new luggage stop = don't know if I should rivet it - don't have spot welder
etc, etc.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Attach new luggage stop = don't know if I should rivet it - don't have spot welder
etc, etc.
Find a body shop in your area and more than likely they will have a spot welder and/or a resistance welder ...and this is due to if they are large enough of a shop and being authorized by insurance companies...they HAVE to HAVE the correct welding equipment to repair many of today's newer vehicles. The problem may be the attachments that allow for areas that need a weird shape to the tips so they can get in and spot weld areas needed.

MY OPINION. Where welds were located... It needs to be out back the same way. It can be MIG welded....but only if you are careful. I have a punch tool that can pouch holes in this steel plate and weld to the steel that is rests on and fill up the hole. I would not braze it due to the amount of heat it takes to do that. I would not just bolt it in. This may seem fine initially...but I seriously doubt it will hold up due to the importance of thus steel plate. Why do I state this. BECAUSE I have seen this done and the holes begin to elongate due to flex over time.

DUB
Old 03-03-2015, 07:27 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Find a body shop in your area and more than likely they will have a spot welder and/or a resistance welder ...and this is due to if they are large enough of a shop and being authorized by insurance companies...they HAVE to HAVE the correct welding equipment to repair many of today's newer vehicles. The problem may be the attachments that allow for areas that need a weird shape to the tips so they can get in and spot weld areas needed.

MY OPINION. Where welds were located... It needs to be out back the same way. It can be MIG welded....but only if you are careful. I have a punch tool that can pouch holes in this steel plate and weld to the steel that is rests on and fill up the hole. I would not braze it due to the amount of heat it takes to do that. I would not just bolt it in. This may seem fine initially...but I seriously doubt it will hold up due to the importance of thus steel plate. Why do I state this. BECAUSE I have seen this done and the holes begin to elongate due to flex over time.

DUB
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that the luggage stop was structurally important.

It is not easy for me to transport the vehicle here and there. I have to rent a trailer, borrow my sons truck, etc. I am trying to do as much as I can at home.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that the luggage stop was structurally important.

It is not easy for me to transport the vehicle here and there. I have to rent a trailer, borrow my sons truck, etc. I am trying to do as much as I can at home.
If GM could have gotten by with simply bolting this panel in...they would have...so logic commands that it is MORE than what some may think. Don't you agree???

Find a welder that does mobile welding...I know in my city there are a few that do.

DUB
Old 03-03-2015, 10:36 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
If GM could have gotten by with simply bolting this panel in...they would have...so logic commands that it is MORE than what some may think. Don't you agree???

Find a welder that does mobile welding...I know in my city there are a few that do.

DUB
Dub - not to be a smarta$$ but there are some things on the C2 that make we question - WHY???? What were you thinking? etc. So I agree for the most part

I will look for a portable welder.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Dub - not to be a smarta$$ but there are some things on the C2 that make we question - WHY???? What were you thinking? etc. So I agree for the most part

I will look for a portable welder.
But that is also like being an 'arm chair quarterback'. It WAS...what it WAS...back then. And with the standards of today...it is easy to actually laugh of how things were done... Kinda like laughing at an 8-track tape player NOW...But back then...it was the 'thing' and all we had.

DUB
Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
But that is also like being an 'arm chair quarterback'. It WAS...what it WAS...back then. And with the standards of today...it is easy to actually laugh of how things were done... Kinda like laughing at an 8-track tape player NOW...But back then...it was the 'thing' and all we had.

DUB
8 Tracks are still AWESOME

Point taken

Get notified of new replies

To More Mystery Holes

Quick Reply: More Mystery Holes