Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Noob Basic Paint and Body: C3 White 1973

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Brother Rob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Basic Paint and Body: C3 White 1973

Ok. Originally posted this in Car Care section. Realized it probably belongs here.

I've owned plenty of cars and done a pretty good job of keeping them well maintained mechanically and cosmetically. But a 40+ year old vehicle has special needs. So I thought I'd post some of my noob questions here and get some advice. The vehicle in question is a new to me White 1973. Overall in very good condition.

First, exterior paint. I think I have an original paint job. There is a little over spray in isolated areas that I think may be the result of minor repair.

My first question is regarding "road rash" and other spots where the paint is chipped all the way through. I'm assuming the recommendation here would be light sand, clean, prep and spot paint.

Any other things that I need to consider?

Worst case Example: Rear edge near taillight...

In several areas there is some checking. The paint is "cracked" not orange peel. And not stress crack patterns. Just aged checking. Short of sanding and repainting large areas, is there anything I should be doing to these areas. Just wax and buff by hand?

Checking...

Next up is an issue with the passenger door. It looks like someone slammed the door on an obstruction, perhaps a seat belt. The edge is damaged. I'm assuming I need to do a fiber glass spot repair. But it appears that the lower edge of the door is metal. Not certain how to repair this.

Also, the paint has stress cracks that radiate up from the point of impact. Is this more of a potential repair than I might be thinking?

Exterior bottom door edge...

Interior bottom door edge. Some surface rust here too...

Finally, there are several spots of surface rust in the interior of the doors. I'm assuming scrape, sand, POR15, and paint.

Interior door

Old 03-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Brother Rob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read the paint chip repair sticky. Good overview and starting point for chip repair.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Other than you going around and doing what ever type of spot repair that suits you. Trying to get this white to match SPOT ON will be FUN...that is for sure.

BE CAREFUL...because if you think for a second that the hidden rust will not keep growing...and cause larger problems later...you might be in for a big surprise one day when major areas fail. Especially if you enjoy it and put it out in the weather.

YOU have to look really deep into this...and by that I mean I do not know what area of the country you live in due to no public profile was even giving a state or country stating where you are at....and/or where possibly this Corvette has been.

I have seen Corvettes like this many times and when it is stripped for an all over paint job...the TRUE STORY about its life comes into focus.

Not knowing what your plans are with the car long term....and I have a hard time trying to describe how to do something that I honestly do not know is correct for that area. because pinholes in the steel where there is rust...and this the rust is on the backside of the panel....many times panels have to be separated so the hidden rust can be STOPPED....because I do not like to do anything half @ss...and have it come back and I have to try to do something on it again....when I KNEW what I needed to do from the beginning.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Noob Basic Paint and Body: C3 White 1973

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noob Basic Paint and Body: C3 White 1973