Old 03-11-2015, 10:09 PM
gapretzel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal

Name:  my top.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  33.7 KB
I have a 1988 model and it looks to me like the bow that is straight up right at the back of the window really has a lot of height maybe like it is bent. I never have been able to get the top "right". This is not the adjustable bow that is the next one back. To me it looks almost like the top is angled instead of horizontal. Any thoughts.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Definitely does not look right. The photo could be better also so the background is a solid light color...the dark bricks do not help...and you take a shot level with the top surface of the top. You can make it look bad just by how your take the shot and what angle you do that.

the bow that is above the top of the back window may need to be adjusted....and is your top a plastic back window or solid glass back window????

DID you do anything with the wide black woven material that was originally stapled to you bows????? and the strap that goes down to the rear bow that latches to the convertible top frame???

DID you mess with the frame where it bolts to the body???? I also need to see a good photo of the convertible top where it meets with the door/window area.

DUB
Old 03-18-2015, 08:25 PM
gapretzel
Intermediate

Default New Pictures of bad top

Ok hope this picture is better and easier to see. The answers to questions are as follows. The rear window is plastic not glass. The bow that rides above the rear window, that should be the adjustable bow I had to take it to it’s lowest position to get the top to fit half decent.
All the black woven material and straps were left untouched.
The main bow that is sticking up so, No I did not touch any hardware on it. The only one I did was the adjustable one that has 2 bolts on each side.
I know the window does not close correctly but I think that the window needs adjustment. I hope to pull the door panel off the 2nd week of April. Also I know that the rear seal at window is not seated in correctly. Once I get these other issues addressed I am going to replace all the seals for the top. I keep a cover over the car when it in not being driven. As it leaks BAD. (I have to check the drain hose from the cowl)
One other thing. I found out after I bought it.. This is a rebuild sometime fairly new in it's life. I believe in 93 in the state of Texas. I could find out no other info. Other than I was told by seller it is not the original motor. So...I don't know what may not have been fixed correctly to start with or if it is just 30 years of people not knowing what they are doing. THAT'S WHY I NEED HELP! A man's got to know his limitations. Thanks in advance
Name:  Post top.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  Post window.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  162.8 KB
Old 03-19-2015, 05:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thanks for the new photos.

YES...you have a problem....with the bow that is up way too high....and this is going to throw off how well the top fits in the corner down by where it meets the door where it is peeling back and your can see the frame of the top.

You may need to peel the top off starting at the front windshield header and get to that bow....and either measure it and or post photos of it.

DUB
Old 03-19-2015, 09:55 PM
gapretzel
Intermediate

I may be able to do that Monday. Right before I start a very long 2 weeks of work. Then the 2nd week of April I will be off the full week. Exactly what do I need to get pictures of and measurements to and from. I will get what ever needed to put this thing to bed once and for all. It almost looks like I need to get up there and just sit on it one good time. Just joking....Anyway thanks for your time.

Originally Posted by DUB
Thanks for the new photos.

YES...you have a problem....with the bow that is up way too high....and this is going to throw off how well the top fits in the corner down by where it meets the door where it is peeling back and your can see the frame of the top.

You may need to peel the top off starting at the front windshield header and get to that bow....and either measure it and or post photos of it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Is this normal

Quick Reply: Is this normal