Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Clear Coat on Polished AL Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:37 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Default Clear Coat on Polished AL Wheels

I'm in the process of finishing a spare set of C5 thin spoke wheels. They are stripped, road rash repaired and repolished. Now I would like to have them clear coated again. Any recommendations on how to take the next step. I currently have 20 to 30 hours into the wheels and they are damn near perfect - I certainly do not want to make any mistakes and move backwards. The polishing has been very therapeutic and has taken about 2 cases.

I currently have two C5's both with thin spokes. Looking to rotate three sets of wheels between the two cars.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Outside of having them clear powder coated which will change the effect of a perfectly polished wheel...in most cases. Trying to apply an automotive clear coat on them is also something that will FAIL due to the aluminum prep you need to the clear will actually STICK. The aluminum prep will ruin your perfectly polished wheel. YES...you can shoot clear on the wheel...but TRUST ME...in time...it will being to pop and blister off and need to be redone.

DUB
Old 06-09-2015, 08:55 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I've owned a few toys with polished aluminum parts ( currently own a polished Cessna 120) and like to leave the aluminum un-coated for several reasons.

First, with wheels and many items, moister can wick in and cause corrosion under the coatings.

Second, as DUB stated, coatings by the very nature of the prep to aluminum, will change the color and finish.

Third, there is nothing short of chrome that "pops" like newly polished aluminum. I have no ties to Nuvite products but they are the best products in my opinion. I may be the worst mechanic and body guy on the forum but I'm one of the top three polishers!

Kevin
Old 06-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

When I got my 86 the wheels had clear on them that was failing. I agree about the therepautic factor in doing that work. It was very satisfying. And also made for a great winter project. A maintenance polish a few times a year is all that's really needed to keep them looking nice.

Before and after.

Name:  image-694412067.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  248.6 KB

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Coat on Polished AL Wheels

Quick Reply: Clear Coat on Polished AL Wheels