Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Is there any way to remove Speckles from Chrome Bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Jhiltonn
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Is there any way to remove Speckles from Chrome Bumpers?

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove speckles from chrome bumpers? Both my front and back bumpers on my 72 have speckles. Especially the back bumper (see pics). They aren't pits, as you cannot feel them. The bumpers are smooth as silk as you run your hand across them, but they've got these nasty looking speckles all over them. I've tried using regular metal chrome polish but it doesn't help.
From a few feet away you cannot see them much; but up close you can. Any words of wisdom?? THanks, JoeH.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

NO JOKE...take a good 10X magnify glass and look at them.

If chrome polish is not removing them..I will bet that they are actually pits or you will see that possibly using super fine steel wool and the chrome polish on one small spot. The steel wool...as long as it is super fine will not scratch the chrome. I have also heard using Coco-Cola and aluminum foil. I can not confirm if that works or not ...but I have heard it does help.

DUB
Old 03-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

It looks like pitting but is it on your paint as well? There appear to be some similar size and color specs there unless it's just dirt? Name:  image-1260272957.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  383.5 KB

Last edited by Dt86; 03-20-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Jhiltonn
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
It looks like pitting but is it on your paint as well? There appear to be some similar size and color specs there unless it's just dirt? Attachment 47872749
That's just dirt on the paint....

Thanks DUB FOR YOUR RESPONSE.... I'll try the steel wool and check it out with a magnifying glass too.
Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Is there any way to remove Speckles from Chrome Bumpers?

Quick Reply: Is there any way to remove Speckles from Chrome Bumpers?