1957 Arctic Blue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:57 PM
wfortune@snet.net
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1957 Arctic Blue

Painting a 57 and don't know what base coat clear coat to use!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by wfortune@snet.net
Painting a 57 and don't know what base coat clear coat to use!
You have to give me more than what you wrote.

Are you a 'purist' and can not settle for anything less than what GM did back then. But reading that you want to use 'basecoat/clearcoat'...I can tell you are basically NOT...but...just trying to figure out what you are looking for.

Do not not care about the color as long as it is close to the original??

I UNDERSTAND that it can be so confusing to a person who does not do this all the time....so...I am trying to help you.....in several ways....save you some money and still give you a paint job you can be happy with.

A lot of it will depend on if you want to order paint in...or go pick it up...and what you have available to you in your area.

Also...not knowing if you are painting it or someone else is...and what type of paint guns you have...if any.

I can tell you what I use but if you can not get it...it is pointless.

Also...keep this in mind....so many colors on current cars...regardless of the manufacturer can be so close to what you are looking for...you can use that color and paint it....or have it tinted to get it the way you want it. I have color decks with over 10,000 colors that I can find a color very close to some of the old colors and re-work the color and get a very acceptable color match.

DUB
Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 PM
wfortune@snet.net
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
You have to give me more than what you wrote.

Are you a 'purist' and can not settle for anything less than what GM did back then. But reading that you want to use 'basecoat/clearcoat'...I can tell you are basically NOT...but...just trying to figure out what you are looking for.

Do not not care about the color as long as it is close to the original??

I UNDERSTAND that it can be so confusing to a person who does not do this all the time....so...I am trying to help you.....in several ways....save you some money and still give you a paint job you can be happy with.

A lot of it will depend on if you want to order paint in...or go pick it up...and what you have available to you in your area.

Also...not knowing if you are painting it or someone else is...and what type of paint guns you have...if any.

I can tell you what I use but if you can not get it...it is pointless.

Also...keep this in mind....so many colors on current cars...regardless of the manufacturer can be so close to what you are looking for...you can use that color and paint it....or have it tinted to get it the way you want it. I have color decks with over 10,000 colors that I can find a color very close to some of the old colors and re-work the color and get a very acceptable color match.

DUB
DUB,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I am ok with ordering the paint, would like to get as close as I can to the correct blue and silver.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-06-2015, 10:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by wfortune@snet.net
DUB,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I am ok with ordering the paint, would like to get as close as I can to the correct blue and silver.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill, then it will be the time contacting different paint manufacturer's and see who actually has a formula for this particular color.

Like I wrote...there are so many colors in color decks that would be so close to a color swatch of the color you want...it just takes time going out and looking...or making phone calls.

DUB
Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I found paint codes for 1957 Arctic Blue:

Ditzler: 11573

Dupont: 58245

Get notified of new replies

To 1957 Arctic Blue

Quick Reply: 1957 Arctic Blue