Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Evercoats VPA

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:27 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Evercoats VPA

I am ready to bond the complete rear clip on my 71 Coupe. The clip is OEM with all four pieces still bonded together. I'm familiar with the properties of the Evercoat VPA, and like it, I'm just 100% sure I will not be able to get the clip properly positioned before it sets up.

My question, what is the next best bonding product that will give me more "holdover time"?

Thanks, Kevin
Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
I am ready to bond the complete rear clip on my 71 Coupe. The clip is OEM with all four pieces still bonded together. I'm familiar with the properties of the Evercoat VPA, and like it, I'm just 100% sure I will not be able to get the clip properly positioned before it sets up.

My question, what is the next best bonding product that will give me more "holdover time"?

Thanks, Kevin
Kevin,

I think we have been through this before....haven't we???? I thought we have been through this...but I may be mistaken.....and if I am...I apologize.

YOU are in control of how slow or fast it sets up. YOU can change it however you like.

I have mentioned this so many times I will do it again. TEST a mix and see how long it takes for it to set-up. THEN...test fit your clip time yourself so you KNOW how long it will takes to get it on and clamped.

IF your mix set-up too fast...back down on the hardener. Because in the winter...the VPA can take up to 45 minutes to begin to 'rock up' (harden). In the summer...the same ratio rocks up quicker.

I have installed front clips using the VPA and on some clips using the SMC panel adhesive and it taking 3 days to totally rock up....and when it did....the clip was NOT coming off. And I have been installing a clip and the SMC panel adhesive began to set-up...so I pulled the clip off and scraped the adhesive off and prepped it again and did it again and backed down on the hardener. It is NO big deal.

Use Evercoats 994 (SMC panel adhesive)...or the VPA...but you have to test it and KNOW your ratio. I am not going to advise you to use any of the adhesives that do the thinking for you and will set-up in a specific amount of time. If you go that route...that is YOUR choice and you did not get that from me.

AND...if you choose to do a test or two...when you spread out the VPA or 994...apply it to where it is about as thick as a pencil.....then make a blob about the size of a golf ball cut in half and TIME it out and find when the VPA or 994 is NO LONGER creamy where it can go back into itself...much like mayonnaise/peanut butter. ONCE it gets to the gelled state and will NOT go back into itself...that is when you call time. AND...the reason why I want two scenarios of the adhesive used....is because the blob will rock up faster due to the volume of itself building up heat and allowing it to cure faster....while the area you spread out will not sure out as fast. AND YES...it makes a difference....and WHY???..do you ask....because when you have your clip on the car and see the gaps where the adhesive will be needed....how many of these gaps are going to be as thick as a pencil....and how many are much thinner than a pencil.

You can put the VPA or 994 in the refrigerator and use it quickly when you pull it out of the refrigerator...BUT if you do this...you need to test it so you KNOW what will happen. But I only do this when it is in the heat of the summer where the shop is over 100 degrees inside.

DO not be afraid to screw up. It is all about you PREPARING and knowing how long it will take to install the clip and get it set CALMLY!!!...and NOT running around like you have your head cut off.

If you have to spend some money and use product just so you can test... and KNOW what to do by making sure that the volume of adhesive you pulled out of the can, and how much hardener you use for that volume of adhesive... for the current air and body temperatures...will set-up like you want....OR...use whatever you choose that is different than what has been mentioned here and deal with the end results.

DUB
Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

DUB,
I'm going to do some more testing with the setup times. I did talk to Evercoat about lowering the hardner quanities(a few months ago) and they didn't recommend it. How do I know if I am getting to the lower limits of hardner? The obvious (it doesn't set up).

Kevin
Old 04-14-2015, 07:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
DUB,
I'm going to do some more testing with the setup times. I did talk to Evercoat about lowering the hardner quanities(a few months ago) and they didn't recommend it. How do I know if I am getting to the lower limits of hardner? The obvious (it doesn't set up).

Kevin
Kevin,

You have to keep in mind that Evercoat is NOT going to tell you anything different than what is written for the way they want you to mix in the hardener. That would contradict them.

BUT ...the reason is that WHY they will not tell you that 'it is OK'...is because there are IDIOTS out there that would put a drop of hardener to a gallon and EXPECT it to harden because they are an IDIOT....and then EXPECT Evercoat to warranty it because 'they said is was OK to reduce the amount of hardener'. All Evercoat is doing is protecting themselves from liability.

It can be changed. SO do tests and see. And YES...if you do not put enough in...it will not harden up. AND remember...the one job I did took 3 days to rock up. Bond some scrap fiberglass together and let it rock up and try to break it apart and see. NOW is the time for YOU to get COMFORTABLE in what you are about to do...so when you go and do it...YOU KNOW what to expect. So spending numerous hours NOW...pays off. TRUST ME...and this is coming from experience....taking the time to KNOW what will happen is a lot better than just jumping into unknown territory and HOPING all goes well.

SO..for example...if you have 100 hours in your car right now....is spending 10% of that time in testing such a bad thing??? Is spending 20% of that time performing tests a bad thing and a waste of time??? At what percentage of time invested in testing do you consider to be a waste of time??? When I get to this dilemma when I am working on project....I will invest as much time as required to make sure my next step is a positive step in the right direction and not cause me to 'back-track'....which is a total waste of time if I have to do it over again.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Evercoats VPA

Quick Reply: Evercoats VPA