Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

1961 paint sequence when to do dash color

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:05 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

Default 1961 paint sequence when to do dash color

Getting ready to move to next phase of repaint of my 1961, Color will be black with silver coves and red interior. When does the dash color get applied, before or after body color. When does engine compartment black get applied. Any recommended mixes for engine bay black.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Hard to actually say what would be the BEST method....as In what to paint first, second and then last.

I know I would get the car completely sealed up and no longer bare fiberglass. I would gelcoat it...but that is just me and it depends on how 'original' you want it.

The reason I am responding this way is that no matter which direction you choose. You are going to have to deal with overspray and masking off or applying a protective coating on the previously painted surfaces.

I am not force feeding you my way of doing it....but if your car were in my shop and looking like what you showed in your photos. I guess I would have to make sure the complete underside and engine compartment were completed. THEN...I would set the body back on the frame and have it protected from dusts and any overspray. Then I would paint the exterior after all body work and gelcoating,etc were completed....then I would have also...along the same time when I was doing the exterior prep and gelcoating/priming...I would get the interior ready for paint. So once the exterior was painted and cleared. I would NOT sand and buff the exterior until I painted the interior. This way...if any of the red got on the black. I know I could sand it off...knowing that I needed to sand and buff the exterior any way.

In my opinion....the amount of masking to make sure areas are protected form direct overspray and lingering overspray dusts...depending on where it is being painted and the air low dynamic of the paint booth make a big difference also. SO ...it is hard to 'say' exactly what to do not knowing if you are spraying in a positive pressure downdraft paint booth or in a cross-flow paint booth.

Also it depends on how much red you wan to paint that may not be seen when carpet, etc is installed.

Using 'Wet-on Wet' sealers can also be used in areas that do not make that big of a difference...such asunder the seat and many areas of the interior that are covered....so you can apply this sealer and then paint right on top of it....and clear over that if you choose.

AS for a black for your firewall/ engine compartment. If depends on what you want as for the sheen of the black. When I do them...I use a black gelcoat and then apply a flattening agent to my black paint that I mix up and shoot over that. Some people use black epoxy primer and leave it due to it is not exposed to the UV's of the sun and lasts for along time.

You might want to PM 'porchdog'...if he does not see this and ask him if the SPI epoxy he uses is suitable for any of this....which I am sure it is....but he know all about that product. And he may also have another procedure entirely that what I have written.

One thing I will write is that your PREP is SO IMPORTANT....ESPECIALLY in those areas that YOU know you re going to have to apply masking tape to protect areas from overspray. And I am NOT WRITING that the other areas are not just as important that they are prepped well...but when you are going to be applying tape to a surface....you better make sure it has been prepped and sanded well so whatever is applied to it will stick...so when that surface is sanded.... so it can be masked off...the tape will adhere. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY....when you go to remove the tape...it does not pull off what you previously applied.

DUB
Old 04-19-2015, 07:43 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

very helpful. I'm planning on keeping car "original" but I have my NCRS top flight car and i'm NOT doing that again. My objective is to use this car for rallies like the copperstate 1000 and the Colorado grand, so it will be driven regularly. The surface you see is a brown heavy primer and under that what looks to be a product we used to call featherfill. When I sand through those two layer the gall is very good, except for an accident repair section.
I don't feel the need to do gelcoat if it's what I used 30 years ago. That stuff was hard! I would like to use current technology sealers and primers and put a clear coat base coat paint on it. Recommendations...thoughts?
Regarding the interior, I'm not a C1 guru but it looks to me like the only places that really need to be painted Red for the interior are the radio council and the gauge cluster. everything else is either under dash pad or covered by carpeting , is that correct? The truck get painted body color doesn't it.
I havent done a car in 30 years so I really appreciate your sharing your expertise.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
Recommendations...thoughts?
I gave my thoughts in the last post. I do not waver in my process ...especially when I see a Corvette being prepped as you have shown.

If you choose not to gelcoat it....then...that is your choice.

If you are looking for a primer that is easier to use and sand....then I do not know what to tell you. I know of several...but they are NOT a primer that I use on a Corvette like what you have. The primers that I would suggest are going to be very similar to gelcoat....and hard to sand....or will take a bit more effort.

Possibly get a hold or 'porchdog' and see about the SPI epoxy that he uses....or contact SPI directly.

DUB
Old 04-19-2015, 09:25 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
I gave my thoughts in the last post. I do not waver in my process ...especially when I see a Corvette being prepped as you have shown.

If you choose not to gelcoat it....then...that is your choice.

If you are looking for a primer that is easier to use and sand....then I do not know what to tell you. I know of several...but they are NOT a primer that I use on a Corvette like what you have. The primers that I would suggest are going to be very similar to gelcoat....and hard to sand....or will take a bit more effort.

Possibly get a hold or 'porchdog' and see about the SPI epoxy that he uses....or contact SPI directly.

DUB
What primers would you suggest and what "gelcoat" do you use?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
What primers would you suggest and what "gelcoat" do you use?
I get my gelcoat across the border in South Carolina...so I can go get it. I know he can not ship it. BUT...I know there are a few members who have found and used gelcoats that they have found. Some are a marine grade and the other I believe is from Evercoat. If you go through the old 'paint and body' posts....you will find it. ALSO..I prefer to sue a gelcoat that requires the application of PVA on top of it to get it to cure due to the gelcoat needs NO AIR getting to it to cure. Some gelcoats have wax in them...that comes tot eh surface and seals off the gelcoat. I just have a hard time allowing wax to get any where near my work. I use wax...but I know what I am doing with it and it is isolated areas....and not an entire surface that will have a wax coating. I know the wax type gelcoats are used....but I prefer not to use them.

The I apply a polyester primer when I get my gelcoat applied and blocked out and know that my thickness of gelcoat is where it needs to be to provide the protection.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 paint sequence when to do dash color

Quick Reply: 1961 paint sequence when to do dash color