Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Is the TINT coat procedure necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:52 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Is the TINT coat procedure necessary?

I have a 2008 Velocity Yellow C6...the left front fender needs to be painted. My body shop will try and just paint the top half of the fender, blending as necessary.

My big problem...my color includes a tint coat...but my body shop paints with a clear coat without the tint.

Will this be a problem?

Should I insist on the tint? How does he mix that tint?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:14 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

I found this:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...coat-mean.html

I would just like to know if I should insist on the clear coat procedure, or let my body shop use the color all mixed with the clear coat color in there, and then clear coat that.

Hummm...

Last edited by joliett; 04-19-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not have the paint code at home....And it being Sunday...i can not check it out for certain...I am sure it is a 'tri-stage'...which DOES require a clear as a final coat.

But if this is a tinted clear being applied over a base color...which basically makes it like a 'candy' form days of old....it needs CLEAR to be applied over it to protect the tinted clear from any damage.

If you have any concerns.....you can all a paint manufacturer and ask them if you do not believe what is written. PPG number is 1-800-647-6050. Follow the option to get to the color library...just make sure that you have your paint code.

DUB
Old 05-13-2015, 04:42 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
I do not have the paint code at home....And it being Sunday...i can not check it out for certain...I am sure it is a 'tri-stage'...which DOES require a clear as a final coat.

But if this is a tinted clear being applied over a base color...which basically makes it like a 'candy' form days of old....it needs CLEAR to be applied over it to protect the tinted clear from any damage.

If you have any concerns.....you can all a paint manufacturer and ask them if you do not believe what is written. PPG number is 1-800-647-6050. Follow the option to get to the color library...just make sure that you have your paint code.

DUB
I just spoke to PPG...Corvettes refinished with spray paint do not have a tricolor system....and not a tinted clear coat either. She said it's the base coat, color coat, and a clear coat.

Base and Color for Velocity Yellow are the same...Color code --> BC/CC U300N. BC=Base Coat, CC=Color Coat and then Clear Coat.

I have been researching this for weeks. Anyone or professionals with more knowledge, please join this discussion. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2015, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by joliett
I just spoke to PPG...Corvettes refinished with spray paint do not have a tricolor system....and not a tinted clear coat either. She said it's the base coat, color coat, and a clear coat.

Base and Color for Velocity Yellow are the same...Color code --> BC/CC U300N. BC=Base Coat, CC=Color Coat and then Clear Coat.

I have been researching this for weeks. Anyone or professionals with more knowledge, please join this discussion. Thanks!
SO if I read this correctly....you PAINT CODE IS: U300N.

I will look into it tomorrow and get back with you.

DUB
Old 05-15-2015, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

I checked the color and it is yellow that has clear on it. NO tinted paint goes on the yellow. But...I generally shoot what ever I am paint yellow with WHITE first so the yellow covers faster.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Is the TINT coat procedure necessary?

Quick Reply: Is the TINT coat procedure necessary?