Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Plasti-Dip question

Old 04-23-2015, 05:51 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Default Plasti-Dip question

I'm trying to coat part of the outside mirrors on the 2015 Jeep I just bought. They currently have a cover that encompasses about 50% of the mirror, and it's chrome plated plastic.

I tried to roll on a couple of coats, yesterday, but it just didn't seem to want to roll out smoothly, or cover evenly. This is my first experience with this material, and since it's a bit of an ordeal, to disassemble the mirrors, I was hoping to be able to roll the Plasti-Dip on, rather than spraying it.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Without a photo so see what you are trying to do...I can not imagine what you are trying to do....if you are trying to cover the chrome plated plastic or something else.

Without seeing it....I would say spray it on....or disassemble the mirror and wrap it in a black vinyl.....or prep the chrome and paint it...or return them and get the mirrors that are what you need....not knowing if you are changing a factory look that does not offer the chrome on them to be black.

I will write this....if you think that spraying or applying anything on the chrome without it being prepped...guess again.

DUB
Old 04-25-2015, 02:15 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

DUB, this isn't my first rodeo, but the way some people talk, this Plasti-Dip stuff is almost magic. I was hoping to catch a break, and roll the stuff on, instead of having to disassemble a potential fragile mirror assembly....
Old 04-25-2015, 02:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
DUB, this isn't my first rodeo, but the way some people talk, this Plasti-Dip stuff is almost magic. I was hoping to catch a break, and roll the stuff on, instead of having to disassemble a potential fragile mirror assembly....
The key difference is the end result and how it looks. For some people...they may think what looks great is not the same as what you think. I run into that often in some repairs.

Best of luck to you to get it the way you need it to look.

DUB
Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Chariotz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to coat part of the outside mirrors on the 2015 Jeep I just bought. They currently have a cover that encompasses about 50% of the mirror, and it's chrome plated plastic.

I tried to roll on a couple of coats, yesterday, but it just didn't seem to want to roll out smoothly, or cover evenly. This is my first experience with this material, and since it's a bit of an ordeal, to disassemble the mirrors, I was hoping to be able to roll the Plasti-Dip on, rather than spraying it.

Any suggestions?

I believe there is chrome on the top of the mirror, yes? Just cover that part with blue tape, spray one layer... Wait a few minutes... Spray another layer... Wait a few mins... Spray another. I used 4-5 layers on mine, it came out great they times I have done it. Let me know if this helps.

See this entire project of one of our feature pages on www.Chariotz.com
Check out this link for more information and download our FREE 'Chariotz' app on the iTunes store here.

Rick Martinez - @Rick_Raspberry
Car Enthusiasts check us out!
Facebook: Chariotzinc
Instagram: @Chariotzinc
Twitter: @ChariotzINC
Download our FREE app in the iTunes store here
Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chariotz
I believe there is chrome on the top of the mirror, yes? Just cover that part with blue tape, spray one layer... Wait a few minutes... Spray another layer... Wait a few mins... Spray another. I used 4-5 layers on mine, it came out great they times I have done it. Let me know if this helps.
Yes, only a portion of the mirror is "chrome". As I previously mentioned, I was trying to roll the Plasti-Dip, but it appears that I might have to spray it. I did mask off the portion of the mirror I didn't want to coat, but by using the foam roller, I was trying to get a decent result and avoid masking off the entire door of the Jeep.

I might have to bite the bullet, buy a spray can of the Plasti-Dip, and start masking....
Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Chariotz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, only a portion of the mirror is "chrome". As I previously mentioned, I was trying to roll the Plasti-Dip, but it appears that I might have to spray it. I did mask off the portion of the mirror I didn't want to coat, but by using the foam roller, I was trying to get a decent result and avoid masking off the entire door of the Jeep.

I might have to bite the bullet, buy a spray can of the Plasti-Dip, and start masking....

Yeah bro, you most likely might have too. It's really easy tho, man. Anyone can do it.

See this entire project of one of our feature pages on www.Chariotz.com
Check out this link for more information and download our FREE 'Chariotz' app on the iTunes store here.

Rick Martinez - @Rick_Raspberry
Car Enthusiasts check us out!
Facebook: Chariotzinc
Instagram: @Chariotzinc
Twitter: @ChariotzINC
Download our FREE app in the iTunes store here
Old 05-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Bob_VII
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you using those 11oz cans from Home Depot? That stuff is meant for actually dipping tool handles into the can, and doesn't roll at all because it's about twice as thick as the spray can formula. Best results come from spraying, whether rattle can or gun.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:24 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bob_VII
Are you using those 11oz cans from Home Depot? That stuff is meant for actually dipping tool handles into the can, and doesn't roll at all because it's about twice as thick as the spray can formula. Best results come from spraying, whether rattle can or gun.
It's been a while...........

Yeah, I was using the "dipping can" product. In the end, I would up biting the bullet, and masking the entire doors of the Jeep, and spraying the Plasti-Dip. Turned out well, just took a little longer to do the masking.

Get notified of new replies

To Plasti-Dip question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip question