Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint blisters

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 AM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Paint blisters

Did anyone here ever experience blistering paint? The car's paint is original and was garaged most of it's life. Left side and targa is blistered. Vette is a 96. Any clues? I want to buy this car for my wife.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...the car was covered and moisture got trapped....thus the 'bubbles'...especially if you know for a FACT that it has NEVER been shot on before.

Normally when a Corvette has been covered with a car cover and left outside and allowed to get wet...basically neglected....the moisture will evaporate and go UP...so if these bubbles are high up in the panel(s)...I would BET that this also has happened...and if you go inside the car and take a VERY CLOSE look and screw heads....and see flash rust....that confirms it. BUT...just because the screw heads are not flash rusting does not mean that the moisture did not get to the underside of the panels and the sun is pulling it init the panels when they get hot.

SO....by my description what to look for....you should have NO bubbles BELOW the door side trim/molding...because that is NOT the high side of the panel. Generally the urethane bumper covers will not bubble...and in some rare cases of neglect....I have seen bubbles on the fuel door.

DUB
Old 05-09-2015, 03:34 PM
DEEDEEZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DUB..Thanks for input. I have come to find out the car has been kept outside under a cover for a few years. The blistering is confined to the upper left quarter panel and targa top. Is this an intensive repair? I am not too concerned about the roof, but the quarter panel repair will require a blend into the door. Is it likely that other areas will blister? The car is in overall very nice shape and price is right. Can you provide any more advice?
Old 05-09-2015, 05:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by DEEDEEZ
DUB..Thanks for input. I have come to find out the car has been kept outside under a cover for a few years. The blistering is confined to the upper left quarter panel and targa top. Is this an intensive repair? I am not too concerned about the roof, but the quarter panel repair will require a blend into the door. Is it likely that other areas will blister? The car is in overall very nice shape and price is right. Can you provide any more advice?
*****BINGO*****

Once the SMC (or any fiberglass) has been effected by moisture contamination...it is a "I do not know" answer to IF it can be REPAIRED and NOT return.

Can the SMC be dried out. YES...but it is like trying to dry out a sponge. "How sure are you that you got it all out?" Would be the question I would ask myself. This type of contamination...IN MY OPINION is NOT he same as getting raw fiberglass wet on the topside. This moisture and contaminants came up from the underside....and over a LONG period of time.

Other than 'other areas' that may also blister/bubble. YES...that is a possibility.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Paint blisters

Quick Reply: Paint blisters