Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

'79 Exterior Black Trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 07:30 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts
Default '79 Exterior Black Trim

I need to retouch the semi-gloss trim on the trim around the windshield and rear glass on my '79.

Searched here and found contradicting information one of which agrees with my experience with similar on my '99 Seville.

Contradictions: Use Krylon semi-gloss black. No--not Krylon--use SEM black trim paint. Essentially nothing sticks as it's stainless steel and it's a special baked-on enamel.

My experience: Similar to the last--despite very careful prep and painting the entire driver door pillar trim on my STS (gloss Krylon that I rubbed down to a perfectly matching sheen) the paint did not stick to the offending (bare) spots along the edge.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Looking for a ONE TIME product is basically NOT going to happen in my opinion. GM had the best products and they fail in years to come.

I have a special primer that I use on polished stainless steel....and it works...but it is no longer available. SO...trying to get a good etch in the molding by media blasting and a primer that will also etch so the paint will adhere is what is needed...obviously.

I honestly thought of taking the time and see if I can shrink wrap them in a semi-gloss black vinyl.

DUB
Old 05-09-2015, 07:49 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Thank you DUB for confirming my suspicion. I'll just carefully brush in some paint. I know it won't last for long and it won't be perfect but it will certainly look better than the glaring bright among the black and Corvette Green.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:18 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

I decided to attempt a nice repair so:

1) Masked

2) Thoroughly cleaned with lacquer thinner

3) Carefully spot sanded the bare sections

4) "Primed" with mar-hyde "Black Satin" Automotive Trim Coating--about 3 light coats within one hour.

5) Finished with Dupli-Color "Ebony Black"--about 3 light coats within one hour.

6) Two coats of wax after two days

Result looks very good and has been in one rain storm (intentional) but I have no idea if it will last.
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2015, 05:54 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Here are some outdoor photos so that "Corvette Green" actually looks green
Attached Images   
Old 05-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks good!!!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Looks good.

DUB
Old 05-26-2015, 06:34 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Thanks. I just hope it lasts for a while.

Strange how the metallic "Corvette Green" came out blue in those photos. I took some shortly after I got the car (same nice Nikon SLR) and it definitely looked green on the same computer screen.

Then I did some serious (almost all hand) polishing with my Wolfgang products to hear the neighbor lady across the street ask me, "Did you repaint the car a different color?" and a friend asked, "Did you put on a new clear coat?" My answer to both was, "No, and I'm almost certain that it's mainly the original 1979 lacquer."
Old 05-26-2015, 07:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
Thanks. I just hope it lasts for a while.

Strange how the metallic "Corvette Green" came out blue in those photos. I took some shortly after I got the car (same nice Nikon SLR) and it definitely looked green on the same computer screen.

Then I did some serious (almost all hand) polishing with my Wolfgang products to hear the neighbor lady across the street ask me, "Did you repaint the car a different color?" and a friend asked, "Did you put on a new clear coat?" My answer to both was, "No, and I'm almost certain that it's mainly the original 1979 lacquer."
YEP...The wife uses the 'Wolfgang' products on her car.

I HOPE your trim lasts a long time. They are really FUN to get right and last....and heck....GM had used some awesome stuff on them and they still failed over time. Sometimes ...some 'things' are just what they are....a part that will require maintenance and repainting.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To '79 Exterior Black Trim

Quick Reply: '79 Exterior Black Trim