Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

xpel over new paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 PM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Default xpel over new paint

I am having my side skirts painted Carbon Flash Metallic. How long after they are painted should I wait before installing the Xpel protective film?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The longer you can wait the better so the paint has time to cure and out-gas. Immediately sealing it up in plastic film can be a potential problem...especially if the area being covered gets direct sunlight.

I would say several months...but I did not paint it...not knowing what was used...how long products were allowed to 'flash off' and how much clear was applied. Using an infra-red heater to aid in curing the paint is good. But I do not have a 'clear-cut' answer for you. Because you have to remember.....GM bakes their paint...so when it comes out of the paint shop...it is dry as it will ever get.

DUB
Old 05-20-2015, 10:04 PM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

DUB
Thanks for your answer. I just ordered the skirts and they are on the way. I have a shop that I trust will paint them correctly. What instuctions could I give the shop that will allow me to wrap them sooner rather than later. The window of opportunity to drive a Vette in NJ is short and I want the skirts on the car to protect it from the awful roads.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by my4thvette
DUB
Thanks for your answer. I just ordered the skirts and they are on the way. I have a shop that I trust will paint them correctly. What instuctions could I give the shop that will allow me to wrap them sooner rather than later. The window of opportunity to drive a Vette in NJ is short and I want the skirts on the car to protect it from the awful roads.
Thanks
This is where trying to protect a paint from damage becomes a 'guessing game'. All I can 'say' is to ask them if they can put them under an infra red heater for several cycles. As I wrote....a lot also has to do with how they paint it. If the paint fails...the I guess you will know next time to give it more time.

Or better yet...ask them what type of paint they use and call the tech line of that manufacturer and express to them your intentions. You might be surprised in the answer you get....or what needs to be done....and if you do not follow their recommendations and the paint fails...it will more than likely not be under a warranty.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-21-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM
RickRack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
This is where trying to protect a paint from damage becomes a 'guessing game'. All I can 'say' is to ask them if they can put them under an infra red heater for several cycles. As I wrote....a lot also has to do with how they paint it. If the paint fails...the I guess you will know next time to give it more time.

Or better yet...ask them what type of paint they use and call the tech line of that manufacturer and express to them your intentions. You might be surprised in the answer you get....or what needs to be done....and if you do not follow their recommendations and the paint fails...it will more than likely not be under a warranty.

DUB

I typically wait 30 days if the paint is cured naturally and about 5-7 days if it has been baked to promote the curing process
Old 05-27-2015, 06:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by RickRack
I typically wait 30 days if the paint is cured naturally and about 5-7 days if it has been baked to promote the curing process
And that is also taking into account if it is being cured 'naturally'. 30 days in 20 degree weather is NOT that same as 30 days at 80 degrees.

And being stuck in a garage 'curing naturally' is NOT the same as being out in the sun and getting hot and cold.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To xpel over new paint

Quick Reply: xpel over new paint