'84 Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:40 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '84 Paint Question

My '84's paint is in relatively decent shape on the hood and back to the end of the doors - and that's the part I'm asking about. I'm 99% sure it's the original paint.

I wax and polish it (Mequairs cleaner wax) and it looks great for a few days, then over a period of a week or two, it slowly fades and the oxidation comes back. It's still glossy, mind you, but there's that hint of oxidation showing.

If I continue to wax and polish it will it finally stay glossy, or is the paint just far enough gone that it's pointless to keep trying to get it clean and keep it that way?

One of the reasons I ask is that the back end has some cracks, chips and missing bits of paint. I plan to do some filling and repainting on that this summer, but if the front of the car will never stay looking good, it might make me reconsider spending much time on the back end.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-27-2015, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It could be that the clear is now too thin and getting ready to 'chalk out' and fail. Clear needs to be a specific minimal thickness to fight against the UV damage from the sun...if it gets too thin...all the polishing/waxing will not stop it being effected. As I see it...it is the beginning of the end. BUT...if the paint is in good condition....and you catch it soon enough...you can prep it and paint right over it. ONCE you let the clear milk out or chalk out and the clear begins to powder away or pop off....you waited too long.

Also..I am NOT there to see what is actually happening and how long it takes for it to loose its luster. I am responding to how I read into what you wrote.

DUB
Old 05-27-2015, 11:58 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
It could be that the clear is now too thin and getting ready to 'chalk out' and fail. Clear needs to be a specific minimal thickness to fight against the UV damage from the sun...if it gets too thin...all the polishing/waxing will not stop it being effected. As I see it...it is the beginning of the end. BUT...if the paint is in good condition....and you catch it soon enough...you can prep it and paint right over it. ONCE you let the clear milk out or chalk out and the clear begins to powder away or pop off....you waited too long.

Also..I am NOT there to see what is actually happening and how long it takes for it to loose its luster. I am responding to how I read into what you wrote.

DUB
I'm not even sure there's any clear - the wax application and buffing cloth definitely turn red - would I expect that if it was cleared? I'm not making a joke - I really don't know...

The car looks really good from a distance, but when you get close and look kind of across the hood, you can see the filminess in it...
Old 05-28-2015, 05:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If your wiping towel turns red...then it is not clear coated...or possibly the clear has been worn off and you are polishing the basecoat. If your paint was clearcoated...nothing would be seen on your towel after polishing.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To '84 Paint Question

Quick Reply: '84 Paint Question