Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Fiberglass dust protection

Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Fiberglass dust protection

When I'm sanding (usually outside) I have on jeans and t-shirt, over that I wear a disposable plastic jump suit with hood. I aslo wear a mask and glasses. I also coat my neck and arms with lotion to seal the pores before I dress. After my work session, I shower with cold water.

Even with this setup I itch like crazy at night. I dont think I'm having a chemical reaction to the glass, just itching. Is there anything I can do to improve this situation? I am very carefull about stirring up dust needlessly.

Kevin
Old 06-01-2015, 06:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
When I'm sanding (usually outside) I have on jeans and t-shirt, over that I wear a disposable plastic jump suit with hood. I aslo wear a mask and glasses. I also coat my neck and arms with lotion to seal the pores before I dress. After my work session, I shower with cold water.

Even with this setup I itch like crazy at night. I dont think I'm having a chemical reaction to the glass, just itching. Is there anything I can do to improve this situation? I am very carefull about stirring up dust needlessly.

Kevin
You just might be sensitive to fiberglass.

Keep this in mind....the clothes you are wearing should NOT be washed with other clothes. AND should be washed LAST when doing your laundry.....then wash something else after that to make sure the washing machine is clean that you do not care so much about....such as towels your throw over a fender while working on the car, etc.

Your sheets can already be contaminated and everything you are doing is not helping.

Also...unless you are sealed up in a Tyvek suit...this fiberglass dust will find its way to you. You have to be taped up...and if you do not seal off your pant legs...the air will blow up your pant legs and there you go.

I have a full hood that I connect my fresh air supplied respirator hose to....so air is always blowing out.

I can 'say' this...and it just may be me....but after a while of working in the fiberglass all day long...I literally could roll around in the dust and it not effect me at all. But if it has been a while since I made dust....YEAH....I can tell. But I know to strip down to my BVD's before I get anywhere near the interior of the house and put these cloths in a plastic trash bad and launder them later.

I have also used a pair of nylons to drag across my skin when in the shower to catch the fiberglass and pull it out. That seems to help sometimes. ALSO..I know it has been mentioned MANY TIMES....BUT....THINK ABOUT IT. IF you are out there sanding and grinding and SWEATING and getting hot. Logic would command that your PORES are open.....RIGHT??? AND if they are OPEN....and you have openings in your protective gear.....where do you think the fiberglass is going???? Into open pores. AND then....you jump into a COLD SHOWER...and what happens???? HUH??? Your pores CLOSE...and what gets stuck in them. SO...I DO TAKE hot showers but that is after I do a quick rinse to get a majority of it off of me first. I can tell in about a half hour to an hour after my shower if I got if off of me. Just my thoughts on this.

DUB
Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

DUB, As usual, thanks for the great tips and info.

Kevin
Old 06-02-2015, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
DUB, As usual, thanks for the great tips and info.

Kevin
Kevin...let me know if any of it helps...because I know how you feel.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass dust protection

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fiberglass dust protection