Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Painting C3 underbody, wheel wells and engine compartment with SPI epoxy primer

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:43 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Default Painting C3 underbody, wheel wells and engine compartment with SPI epoxy primer

Since we're talking about painting an engine compartment with SPI epoxy primer here Cleaning Bare Fiberglass, let me follow up with more enquiries.

I would like my 1977's underbody, wheel wells and engine compartment to be light to medium gray. I'm planning to use SPI's epoxy primer. I can also drop them an email with these questions, but thought I might as well ask here in case somebody has input:

1. I read a while back that it's possible to just spray that epoxy primer and leave it as is.
Do you feel that the paint would perform well over time without any top-coat / clear-coat?
'13611', what's your plan with your engine compartment?

2. If 1 is OK, can I darken the light gray SPI epoxy primer by adding a bit of their black epoxy primer?

Thanks all!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:57 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

black epoxy has uv protection in it. gray does not but no big deal under the car. yes you can mix black and gray with no problems. it will be fine with no top coat .
Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

That was quick porchdog. Thanks for your answers!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Well... the plan for my firewall WAS to clean it really good and glass a few cracks then paint it. After I got the first round of epoxy primer on it I got real **** about the way it was looking. So far I've primed, sanded, glazed, sanded, and (just today) primed again. I plan to put a round of 2K primer over the epoxy and wet sand. Then I'm painting it with the "Hot Rod Black" kit. You talked about doing your under body and wheel wells. I did those last week only after I prepped everything, I used rubberized undercoating. I'm not being too careful about keeping the undercoating black at the moment because I'll get it black again when I spray the firewall. Here's a few pics...

Here's the glaze on after the first round of epoxy primer.

Here it is after sanding again.

Second round of epoxy primer.

And here's a shot of the rubberized undercoating.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

You can also see in the second to last photo above where I ran the rubberized undercoating around and up under the area of the head lights and grille area and where it transitions into the area that I want smooth.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:34 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the details 13611. Looks like you're doing a good job & have a solid plan. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting C3 underbody, wheel wells and engine compartment with SPI epoxy primer

Quick Reply: Painting C3 underbody, wheel wells and engine compartment with SPI epoxy primer