Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

71 Rear Clip Bonding

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 04:28 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 71 Rear Clip Bonding

After being side tracked for a few months, I'm now trying to get my 71 rear clip bonded. As I've stated before, it's an OEM four piece unit.

I've done some testing with Evercoats VPA and I feel that I wont have the time to get the "unit" positioned correctly before "rock up". I know that many shops and guys here could do it..... Its to risky for me, I dont want to put all the labor back into re-cleaning the parts. I'm working in a shop with no A/C and this is not helping the situation.
We (Missouri) did have a cool spell but I missed the window of opportunity.

What would be the next best bonding material to give me more time?

Kevin
Old 06-06-2015, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

My only other suggestion is the SMC Panel Adhesive from Evercoat Part number 994. BUT it is the same thing...you add hardener. And it has a 3-5 minute induction period BEFORE you put the panels together....which is why i mentioned the VPA.

You can put the VPA or SMC panel adhesive in the refrigerator for a while to cool it down and pull it pout ...mix it up and go.

I guess you have backed off on the hardener....correct. This time of year you can back off on it quite a bit.

Not wanting to be a smart @ss....but you wrote: " I feel I wont have the time to get the "unit" positioned correctly before "rock up". All I can 'say' is this. When I do this I KNOW I can get it...because I have installed the rear or front clip numerous times and timed my self doing it CALMLY...and I take the average time. Then I mix a small batch of VPA or the SMC panel adhesive and check to see how long it takes to gel up. So by the time I go and install the clip...it is not a problem at all.

You can try some of the two part cartridge adhesives...but I am not a fan of that stuff on the pre-1984 Corvettes myself.

I assume that you are NERVOUS as all get out.....I understand that. TRUST ME...I DO! So do yourself a favor (if you have not already) and install and remove it so many times that it goes on with no problems and you are not running around like you have your head cut off. Becasue I will write this....regardless of the bonding adhesive you use...if you do not have the installation process all worked out to perfection....having to remove it due to problems is a messy/nasty job.

DUB
Old 06-07-2015, 07:17 PM
syco_cop
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Very interested in watching your progress. Please keep us updated.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:22 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I finally got the rear clip on my 71 coupe bonded on and thought I would post some pictures to close this thread out and maybe help some out.

I went back and forth trying to decide what type of bonding compound to use. I have been using VPA for some smaller bonds but had concerns about enough time on the complete rear clip. I finally had a day with temps in the low sixtys and went for it. I made a "bow" for the roof line the day before out of laminated 1/8" hardboard, I was concerned about indentations at the roof line. The jig gave a very ridged item to clamp to, worked great. Very happy with the outcome and glad to get it behind me. Over all, not really a big deal technically just a lot of hours, I lost track.

Kevin
Attached Images    
Old 10-08-2015, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Glad that you got it bonded. I know you feel relieved.

So..you have been having GREAT SUCCESS with the VPA bonding and holding????

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 71 Rear Clip Bonding

Quick Reply: 71 Rear Clip Bonding