Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Griots Garage wax

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:10 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default Griots Garage wax

Anybody used the Griots Garage 'Best In Show' wax? If so, I'd appreciate your opinions on it. Here's why....

I've used their polishes in the past, and have been satisfied with them. I needed to buff out the wife's car recently, and ordered some of the Griots 'Machine Polish 3' as well as some of the 'Machine Polish 4'. Both the 'Machine Polish 4', and their 'Best In Show' wax are the same color, and are packaged in the same container, so someone at the 'Auto Geeks' warehouse mistakenly sent me a bottle of the wax, instead of the polish.

A call to Auto Geeks took care of the problem, and they said it would cost more to send the wax back, than it was worth, so I was told to enjoy it with their compliments, and they sent out another bottle of the polish. ( )

So, here's my experience....earlier this past week, I buffed out the car, then applied the wax. The instructions suggested to apply the wax, let it dry for about 15 minutes, then buff it off. I used microfiber polishing cloths to buff the wax, and it just about killed me, getting the wax off. For you "old timers" like me, it was like buffing off the original Simoniz paste wax.....killer! Furthermore, after all that work, I looked closely at the car yesterday, I saw several places where I obviously didn't rub hard enough, and there was still some wax on the car, and on the roof, it's all "cloudy" looking.

Is it just me, or has anyone else had the same results with this product?
Old 06-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't have experience with that particular product but I've had similar experiences like you're talking about with the miserably hard to get off wax. What's worked for me in the past is a damp micro fiber followed by a dry one. The damp cloth seems to loosen the stuff right up and following with the dry cloth assures no traces of it are left behind. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:50 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i use mothers carnuba wax. have for many years . i do not leave it to dry . much like spit shining shoes. just rub it in buff it off.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:09 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 13611
I don't have experience with that particular product but I've had similar experiences like you're talking about with the miserably hard to get off wax. What's worked for me in the past is a damp micro fiber followed by a dry one. The damp cloth seems to loosen the stuff right up and following with the dry cloth assures no traces of it are left behind. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the hint, and I'll give it a try. I've been using Surf City Garage's 2 part "Nano Seal & Nano Glaze", for the last several years, and have been very happy with it. It's not the easiest wax to remove, either, but at least when you give it a good buff, it ALL comes off.

I tried the Griots Garage wax, thinking it would be an easy on/off, deal, after spending a couple of hours washing, claying, buffing, washing, and final buffing. Little did I know......

Originally Posted by porchdog
...... i do not leave it to dry . much like spit shining shoes. just rub it in buff it off.
I got to that point with the Griots wax, too, but it didn't seem to help....
Old 06-07-2015, 10:28 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've applied it with their DA polisher and it is hard to get off. Griot's has acknowledged that and recommends spritzing a little detail spray/wax when it becomes hard to buff. If you do that, it's not too bad to get off.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:46 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Well, just for grins, I went out to the garage last evening and put another coat of wax on the hood and trunk, and as "13611" suggested, I did an initial buff with a wet polishing cloth, and that helped a lot. It will be interesting to see if it remains "cloud free" after being in the sun today...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:06 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i chose mothers because it does not dry white and is easier to apply than most others i've used. i've even had some of that high dollar stuff ( bought by the customer ) and saw no improvement. no way i'm paying 2-400 for wax. i polish mothers off with old tshirts .
Old 06-08-2015, 10:21 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Well, just for grins, I went out to the garage last evening and put another coat of wax on the hood and trunk, and as "13611" suggested, I did an initial buff with a wet polishing cloth, and that helped a lot. It will be interesting to see if it remains "cloud free" after being in the sun today...
I have used the Griots wax for a few years now with no issues. I don't let it stand for 15 min though. And I don't have any issues with cloudiness. Not sure what would cause that unless you just didn't get it all off.

Get notified of new replies

To Griots Garage wax

Quick Reply: Griots Garage wax