Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

68 body prep questipn

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:01 AM
broughj
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 68 body prep questipn

I am in the final body prep process prior to paint on my 68 convertible. The body was removed from the frame, the frame and suspension refurbished, and the body reinstalled on the roller frame without the engine and trans. The doors, hood, decklid, headlight doors, wiper door, etc. were all installed. We are now in the stage of getting everything into final adjustment and correcting any issues with gaps, alignment, or fit. My question is, should I reinstall the engine and trans before finalizing the fit/alignment of everything? I really don't have the engine/trans ready to go in plus I wanted to be able to finalize the detail in the engine compartment after the body was painted. My concern is since I know that the 68 frame does flex a good bit, am I going to be dealing with significant gaps and fit issues once I reinstall everything in the car after it is painted?

Thanks in advance for your experience, and suggestions.

John Brough
Old 06-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

My guess would be yes. I'm sure the pros will chime in and give their experience. I have a 68 coupe and am just behind you. Only difference is my chassis is finished and has everything on it. I have it wrapped in plastic and will be putting the body on for final fitting issues this week. You've done everything right to this point and I think I know your gut is telling you that it sure would SUCK if a gap or two changed with the weight of the engine and trans coming in after paint. Couple of suggestions... find and old engine and trans that's seen better days that someone might give to you or would cost very little and put it in their so all the weight is on the frame. Or, if you're a racer, or know a racer, load the engine and trans cross members up with lead. Not having it close to finished weight would just be too risky for me after all I've got invested into mine at this point. Good luck with your project!
Old 06-14-2015, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For what it is worth...and this is how I think at my shop doing this for people.

I get the engine compartment DONE first. Applying the black or whatever I need to do. Wiring harnesses and vacuum hoses are installed AFTER it has been painted. Or at least the forward light harness and fiber optics are puled back and bagged up so it does not effect the way I mask off the engine compartment so I can paint the car.

The engine/transmission are in the car and generally it is running and has been basically tuned so it will run properly. I generally do this when the body is somewhat protected being coated in gelcoat or polyester primer....but NEVER tune or break-in a new engine when the fiberglass is bare. This is so I do not have to 'fender lizard' on my fresh paint. The wheel alignment will be performed when it is all done...one of the last things I do. The reason I want the engine in is that even though I am good...'things' can happen and I NEVER want o nick my fresh paint job or even have blankets on my fresh clear and leaning on it. I have put new engine in Corvettes with FRESH paint...but I just prefer to do it when it is in the gelcoat/primer stage so if something goes bad wrong...I can easily fix it.

Also....when I am setting gaps and such...I want the car just like it will be when completed. SO...it is rolling on its OWN suspension. And the car is basically at full weight. I obviously do not have on the door panels...but I want it to have as much on it as possible.

So...if it were me...I would be telling you to bring me an engine and transmission so I can get it in and running...THEN I will paint your car....BECAUSE...if I painted your car and gave it back to you to put the engine/transmission in...and something goes wrong and you damage my paint...you would WISH you could turn back time and do it a different way. TRUST ME...repairing fresh paint...and depending on where the damage is can become a MAJOR ISSUE....a SUPER MAJOR ISSUE.

I do not know if you are painter by trade or doing it all yourself for the first time. But paint can be funny And by 'funny' I mean....you can apply several sprayed products on the body to get your car painted. Such as gelcoat, polyester primer, epoxy primer,2K primer...some type of sealer, basecoat color and clear coat. When you do this NORMALLY...these products will adhere to each other either by chemical adhesion or mechanical adhesion and or even cross link to each other. BUT....and here is the FUNNY PART (NOT laughing)........When you damage FRESH paint....even those these products worked together. When you break though these layers in order to make a repair....the solvents of these products can NOW effect the products that were applied AFTER it was applied....thus causing a reaction of some type.. Sometimes NO reaction will occur....but what will more than likely occur is a shrinkage effect in a bout 3 months to a year and you will be able to tell where you feathered back you sprayed products and it likes like a 'bulls-eye'. SO...THAT is why I would put your engine/trans BEFORE you paint it.

As for masking off areas or applying a product that prevents any dust or overspray from sticking....well....that is a part of the job. Like I have written before. Even with the special jigs I have made....figuring out the logistics of getting everything in the booth so the door can be removed and re-installed and what have you so there are no tape lines when completed....I can have an easy DAY in masking and getting it all set up.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 68 body prep questipn

Quick Reply: 68 body prep questipn