painting oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 PM
mtnance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default painting oil pan

dropped the pan, and have prepped for the new gasket, etc. Question: the pan has been cleaned of grease/oil both in and out and thoroughly dried and wiped clean. However the exterior of the pan is pitted and rusty (though no loose rust). It's been gone over with a non-wire wheel and cleaned again. Do I need to prime it or can I spray the engine paint on directly?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Depends on what kind of finish you're expecting from it. If you just want to protect it and have a decent rattle can finish then you can just go at it with the paint. IF you're wanting superb results you'll need to prime and sand and prime and sand and on and on until it looks like you want it to look. Then paint it. You'll get a decent result from a can but the best results from automotive paint and a spray gun. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 13611
Depends on what kind of finish you're expecting from it. If you just want to protect it and have a decent rattle can finish then you can just go at it with the paint. IF you're wanting superb results you'll need to prime and sand and prime and sand and on and on until it looks like you want it to look. Then paint it. You'll get a decent result from a can but the best results from automotive paint and a spray gun. Hope this helps a bit.
EXACTLY!

MOST...and I do not know if ALL rattle can engine paints are actually DTM ( direct to metal)...thus not requiring an adhesion promoter, etch primer or primer.

AS for the pitting due to rust....depends on how 'sweet' you want it to look when completed.

Actually the only benefit I can see if using automotive paint...such as an akyld enamel...is that it is better than rattle can paint. I can paint an engine with a rattle can and when I am done it looks like you dipped it. SO it is all about technique and knowing how to use a rattle can....and knowing how to keep the 'wet-bed' wet ( that's the secret) and when the painting is completed...there are no dry spray or dull areas. YES..a paint gun makes it easier due to wider spray pattern or the ability to adjust the spray pattern ...but if you do not have the technique down pat...it does not matter.

U-POL 'HIGH 5' aerosol primer is REALLY GOOD and a bit pricey...but it is some really good aerosol primer.

DUB
Old 06-16-2015, 07:20 PM
mtnance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks guys. Until I'm ready to really delve into a project, the spray can protection is my route. I'm just not set up to do spray gun work. I just wanted to provide the protection and have it look somewhat correct. I have to admit, it came out pretty good.

Get notified of new replies

To painting oil pan

Quick Reply: painting oil pan