Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What do you use to fill in fiberglass imperfections

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:24 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What do you use to fill in fiberglass imperfections

Basically, there is a hole in the hood of my c4. I filled it in and made a pretty damn good, solid surface. Now to fill in the minor imperfections and make it butter smooth, what do I fill it in with? I'm not a pro by any means, but can do a lot of work myself and choose to.

IE, will bondo fill in the fiberglass, allowing me to sand it to a smooth surface? Tiger-Hair? Etc...
Old 06-19-2015, 01:55 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

My first question is what exactly did you fill the hole with initially.

If it wasn't specifically labeled to work on SMC which is what your Hood is made from.

So lets figure that out first and go from there.

Maybe post a photo of what your working with as well.

Plenty of good products out there to work on these.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:01 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

I used fiberglass cloth/hardener kit. It's a great bond right now, I can lightly punch it and it's rock solid. Here is a picture of the product as it sits right now. I just need to fill in the minor imperfections so I can sand it down and get ready for paint.

Drivers side hood
Old 06-19-2015, 06:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
I used fiberglass cloth/hardener kit. It's a great bond right now, I can lightly punch it and it's rock solid. Here is a picture of the product as it sits right now. I just need to fill in the minor imperfections so I can sand it down and get ready for paint.
NOT meaning to be a jerk...but you did not answer the question 'phrogs' asked. Punching at a panel as a test is not proving anything. It all depends on the TYPE of resin you used...and if it is made for SMC...and even though it is made for SMC...it then will depend on WHO the manufacturer is. BECAUSE...even though you may feel the repair is solid and bonded...I have experienced the same thing only to find that the repair can literally be peeled right off with very little effort ...once you get under it and pry. This is MORE IMPORTANT than you might think. Because if you do not KNOW for sure..I hope it turns out well...but if it does not...I hope you will like doing it a second time ...correctly. JUST 'SAYING'.

I would not use 'kitty hair' Wrong product for the repair.

You could slap some 'bondo' on it if you want...I would not.

Do any repairs over your lamination with Evercoat Vette Panel Adhesive. Part number 100870 (quart) and 100880 ( gallon)...which is what I use. Call EVERCOAT and verify their date coding so you know you are getting fresh product.

DUB
Old 06-22-2015, 08:33 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

I'll have to look at the brand I dont recall off of the top of my head. I want to say it was Evercoat?? Right now the surface is great.. it's smooth and flush w/ the hood. You'd never tell there was a seem to the repair.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

AS much as I hate to write this...but this stuff has caused me nothing but problems and I just can not use it any longer. In time...it will peel right off and I have tried darn near everything I can do ...including calling and talking with tech line. Granted it has been about 7 years since I have tried using it..so unless they have reformulated it...I would not use it....BUT that is just me.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=16

DUB
Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

So what can I use to fill it in to bring it flush to sand it? Since I've already done the other work..
Old 06-24-2015, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

So what can I use to fill it in to bring it flush to sand it? Since I've already done the other work..
You MUST be JOKING. READ your post from BEGINNING to END. And THEN you will see why I replied this way.

DUB
Old 06-26-2015, 10:01 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

It's been on for 2 years now without a single issue, rain or shine... exactly what time should I be expecting it to fall off again?
Old 06-26-2015, 05:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

It's been on for 2 years now without a single issue, rain or shine... exactly what time should I be expecting it to fall off again?
GREAT...Glad to read that you have success...but you never replied on ACTUALLY what you used. WHICH makes all the difference. And as I wrote....the resin I was having problem with required it to be pried against and then the patch would fall off. It just did not fall off.

DUB
Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

I think it was evercoat w/ the fiberglass mat and resin hardener..
Old 07-26-2015, 03:26 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Drivers side hood
Didnt I just see this car locally on craigslist??

EDIT** I sure did...

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/5115078739.html

Last edited by augiedoggy; 07-26-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Yes sir. thanks for the technical input on this
Old 07-30-2015, 01:56 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes sir. thanks for the technical input on this
lol any that was given so far you argued with so no thanks....

seriously though

I will say that I used evercoats vette panel filler/adhesive on my 84 and regular auto store bondo brand glazing putty for any tiny imperfections...

Im actually in the process of bodywork on my 74 now that I have stripped all the paint with a razor and the vette panel adhesive works well on the older standard fiberglass as well as smc (as it should) one of the PO's stripped away much of the gelcoat and it had been painted at least 3 times with bodywork in between so I have my work cut out for me.

might be the least of your concerns now that you may have dropped a valve though
Old 07-30-2015, 02:03 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
lol any that was given so far you argued with so no thanks....

seriously though

I will say that I used evercoats vette panel filler/adhesive on my 84 and regular auto store bondo brand glazing putty for any tiny imperfections...

Im actually in the process of bodywork on my 74 now that I have stripped all the paint with a razor and the vette panel adhesive works well on the older standard fiberglass as well as smc (as it should) one of the PO's stripped away much of the gelcoat and it had been painted at least 3 times with bodywork in between so I have my work cut out for me.

might be the least of your concerns now that you may have dropped a valve though
Ya no kidding. I was about to get the car painted/fixed/c6 wheels/dyno tuning done on it too. Such a disappointment.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you use to fill in fiberglass imperfections

Quick Reply: What do you use to fill in fiberglass imperfections