Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:02 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Paint cost???

I am thinking to have my front bumper cover repainted. My 08 CRM is really called Claret Red Tintcoat. I have 2 questions if anybody can be gracious enough to give me the answer.

1. What would be a good price to respray my front bumper cover, if I took it off the car.

2. The "Tintcoat" part of this sounds like the clear coat is not actually clear but has a tint of some color to it. Is that correct?

I'm asking here because I do not trust that the shop will tell me the truth.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
I am thinking to have my front bumper cover repainted. My 08 CRM is really called Claret Red Tintcoat. I have 2 questions if anybody can be gracious enough to give me the answer.

1. What would be a good price to respray my front bumper cover, if I took it off the car.
Depends on the condition of the bumper cover. Small nicks and abrasions will have to be addressed...so giving an estimate is about impossible. A trained eye will see concerns that most people do not see and feel are important.

2. The "Tintcoat" part of this sounds like the clear coat is not actually clear but has a tint of some color to it. Is that correct?

YES...it can be a tri-stage...or a tint coat...but the factory paint code is really what needs to be known because it will let a person like me know if it requires a tint coat or not...when I look up the paint formula...along with the color coat and possible correct color of gray sealer...depending on what is need to re-paint it. And if it is a tri-stage...and painting the bumper OFF the car...this can be really tricky...because the number of tinted coats can and will effect the color when completed.....AND....the number of actual clear coats that are applied can also effect the outcome of the color because it can change the depth and make the color darker. Much like how when you look down on a swimming pool from hotels top floors....how in the shallow end is a lighter blue...but the diving end is a darker blue....but yet when the pool was painted the light blue on the inside it was all the same light blue.

I'm asking here because I do not trust that the shop will tell me the truth.
The main issue here is trying to 'butt-match' the bumper to match the hood and fenders. Getting it painted and looking great sitting on a stand is one thing...putting it up onto the car is something entirely different. AND often times these bumpers do not match perfectly from the factory due to they are painted in a separate area than the main body due to they are urethane. So a lot depends on how it looks before it is removed....and once again...a trained eye may see things in the color that may not be evident to other people. Obviously the color of the car makes a big difference in how well the color looks.

DUB
Old 06-20-2015, 07:41 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

wow, thanx for the reply. So it is best to just give them the car and hope for the best?? as far as price goes.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
wow, thanx for the reply. So it is best to just give them the car and hope for the best?? as far as price goes.
I did not write that....I need to know you paint code...to verify if it is a tri stage or not.

Instead of 'hoping' for the best....find someone who can do it and GIVE YOU their BEST.....there is a difference.

DUB.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint cost???

Quick Reply: Paint cost???